Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: error -72

Default error -72

I got this message on trying to open Designer PRO XII today.
    I can't send an error message without the programme opening and the xara website has its head in the cloud and can't see me down here.
    Anybody else had this particular error message. I tried reinstalling from a previous download and it failed.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error-72.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	121201  

Default Re: error -72

Try going to the installation folder. Find the .exe file and see if you can open this file.

You can also try the old steady first thing to try which is right click on the .exe file and select Run as Administrator.

Thanks Gary but I did try all the usual ways to no avail.
    I tried a 'repair' using CCleaner, usually a good move but it couldn't find the right files on the cd even though I pointed to them.
    I had to uninstall before I could install from the CD. Having now got it installed, the registration notice comes on screen with my details and the serial number correctly shown but it says that the trial period has expired and 'activation failed' error code -44
    where can I find the link to the elusive Xara Support to see what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by frightful View Post
    Thanks Gary but I did try all the usual ways to no avail.
    I tried a 'repair' using CCleaner, usually a good move but it couldn't find the right files on the cd even though I pointed to them.
    I had to uninstall before I could install from the CD. Having now got it installed, the registration notice comes on screen with my details and the serial number correctly shown but it says that the trial period has expired and 'activation failed' error code -44
    where can I find the link to the elusive Xara Support to see what they have to say.
    I have found Magix support and explained it to them... watch this space !

Thanks for the update.

You chose the wrong time to do this as Xara's servers were being hammered with its v15.1 release.
    Try the Registration again.

Sorry you have the problem.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Luckily I have the prog on a laptop as well so not the end of the world. I shall try to retrieve something later in the week when not so busy.
    Thanx for the replies.

support sent me some instructions which didn't work. I have let them know that but haven't heard back. Two weeks or more now and problem still not solved... where did I put that Affinity prog....

Resolved !
    I finally resolved this by creating a new user as an administrator then followed the instructions that support had given me and all is well. The instructions were to make some specific changes to the registry as well as deleting some of the folders on my desktop computer. I now have version 12 up and running again. This was the last update I paid for.

The new user seems to have been the only way to get a clean reinstall.