Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Need some assistance on DPI

Xara Designer Pro X: I've built a WEBsite, and it works fine. However, I've done a great deal of work with individual graphics in very high res at 96 DPI. It is my understanding that if I reduce the DPI to 72 that if some one copies the file and brings it up in a program it will be a great deal smaller than my inserted graphic, and if it is enlarged it will fall apart. I need some confirmation on that please.

Also, all my files are .JPGs. How can I make the DPI change without losing the original quality? Any help greatly appreciated. I'm Watermarking the graphics, but any decent artists can undo that. Thank you.
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

Default Re: Need some assistance on DPI

GGG, you cannot have high resolution at 96 dpi.

Xara exports all images at 96 dpi so if you detune down to 72 dpi you just get a blocky 96 dpi image.

If your site provides a "high resolution" image then there is NOTHING you can do prevent anyone capturing that image.

Slice an image's thumbnail into small rectangles and only expand those that you want to show off the greater detail.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Giddyup, you appear somewhat confused re this resolution mater and I'm with you, it is confusing and is getting more so as each month passes by.

Going back a few years Apples used 72dpi & Windows used 96dpi, so an apple generated image appeared slightly smaller on a PC screen.

I've done a great deal of work with individual graphics in very high res at 96 DPI.
    96dpi is not hires, just a fine size for display on a PC. 72dpi is not hires either just a fine size to view on Apples.

If you copy an image from either PC or Apple and try to print them the quality will be poor. Printers require 200 to 600 dpi to print a quality image.

It is my understanding that if I reduce the DPI to 72 that if some one copies the file and brings it up in a program it will be a great deal smaller than my inserted graphic, and if it is enlarged it will fall apart.
    That is just not true. Nothing will fal apart just be of poor printer quality as mentioned above.

Things have become far more complicated these days with tablets, mobiles, laptops and desktops having higher and higher pixel density capabilities. One reason Xara introduced the HiRes option for including 192dpi images for better quality images on Ipads/iPhones/some Android phones & tablets.

You're also moving to HD & 4K displays.

Confused Dot Com

Edit: Oops Acorn beat me to it again.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You guys are the best! Thanks for the input I needed that. With everything told me I think you've let me know if someone wants to copy my images they can use them on their WEBsite with no problem.

The web is DPI/PPI agnostic. That metadata field (DPI) is in no manner ever used on the web. Ever. Never has been.

All that matters is pixel dimensions. It is the viewing device's resolution that translates that pixel dimension accordingly to its screen dimensions.

I would not worry too much about the dpi at all.

You can change it, and it will not have any real effect on the quality unless you are also changing the pixel dimensions. On those programs that honour it, it will affect scaling on the screen.

You can install Paint.net and try for yourself:

1. Load some image and then choose Image/Resize.
    2. Change only the resolution without touching pixel size, and you can see just the "Print size" will change.
    3. Click OK, and nothing seems to have changed with the image on screen.

.... if someone wants to copy my images they can use them on their WEBsite with no problem.
    Well basically they can. For a visitor to view your image it must be available to download to the browser.

One thing that is possible is to stop someone right-clicking and selecting Copy Image. Place your image on a page, then directly above it place an equi-sized rectangle it with a 99% transparency and perhaps a watermark. Group both. The image will still look the same but right clicking and selecting Copy Image will copy the transparent image not your treasured image. Not 100% fool-proof but will thwart the majority of visitors.

Print Screen will still contain the watermark. However Right clicking and View Image Info will load all the pages images any of which can be copied. How many visitors know that though?

Preview the attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg that is a heck of an idea Thanks bunches; never would have thought of that.