Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embedded Fonts

Default Embedded Fonts

Hi everybody! How's my peeps?!

I'm trying to create a document that has no embedded fonts. I thought, all I have to do is turn all the fonts I use into outlines (Illustrator) however, one font keeps creeping into my document as an "embedded font subset" (whatever that means). I am not even using this font that keeps showing up as an embedded font. Why is this happening? And what can I do to get rid of this pesky font that's not even in my document at all?

Mark

Default Re: Embedded Fonts

I'm not a peep...

Perhaps you have bleed and document information turned on when making the pdf? That will embed a version of Arial in the pdf. I don't think, if this is the case, that using the convert fonts to shapes, or outlines, during making the pdf will overcome this, but it may. I'm not at a computer to check.

Beyond that, I would need to see the pdf or the Xara file.

Mike

Dagnabbit!

I can't figure out how to post a pdf to TG.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321 View Post
    Dagnabbit!

I can't figure out how to post a pdf to TG.
    Thusly. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdf.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	121179
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Are you using Illustrator for this or Xara? And if I might ask, why the aversion to embedded fonts?

I have discovered in Xara that sometimes a phantom font that does not appear when I select it in the Names Gallery is actually a formatted space after a sentence or paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Thusly. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdf.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	121179
    Bob,

I have no idea why it won't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Are you using Illustrator for this or Xara? And if I might ask, why the aversion to embedded fonts?

I have discovered in Xara that sometimes a phantom font that does not appear when I select it in the Names Gallery is actually a formatted space after a sentence or paragraph.
    Clever deduction, GW! … I'm avoiding embedded fonts because many commercial fonts specify that their font NOT be embedded in a document. I don't know why but I'm trying to not do that.

Mark

Clever deduction, GW! … I'm avoiding embedded fonts because many commercial fonts specify that their font NOT be embedded in a document. I don't know why but I'm trying to not do that.
    I take your point.

Only some old commercial fonts prohibit embedding in a pdf. These are marked in the permissions as restricted. Without the pdf I'm afraid we cannot help much.

So upload to dropbox or the like and provide a download link. Else try another browser here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbmf28yrs1...%20in.pdf?dl=0

I have no clue if I'm doing this right or not. But I hope this will work.

Mark

Wow. It looks like when I tried to make a smaller version of this poster I ended up with two sets of trim marks. Strange. But the original is right. It was just way too freakin' big to post to TG (32x48in).