Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Problems publishing changes to my web site & placeholders not working

Hi to all & hoping someone can solve this problem.

I am running Xara Designer Premium 15.

I have been updating my site locally on my machine & uploaded it after the changes without any problem, I then tweaked some more things.

The site is conventional site, I saved the site & exported the files to a local folder on my machine & all is ok, if I view the pages locally on my laptop.

At first I had the box ticked for fast updating, but as the site would not update online when I upload & publish it I decided to revert back to publishing the complete site.

The files are exported locally & the htm & the index file is there along with all the other files, but the site will not update the pages when I publish it, I am using the option of publishing using the Xara option & not via a 3rd party program.

I always save the site, then export the files to a local folder & all looks ok.

I have tried emptying all the prior index files from the local folders on my machine & the exporting the website files again as a fresh start, but I am unable to get the changes to take effect once published.

The only other clue is the place holders I have with Xara sliders on don't show even on my local machine, i.e. they show when I'm building the site but when I export it locally they don't show. The sliders are in the Mouse off layer.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks very much.

Dave

Default Re: Problems publishing changes to my web site & placeholders not working

Hi Dave, can you clarify how you are publishing your site? You can either 'Export' your site to your hard-drive then publish it to your web-host via an FTP software such as Filezilla or 'Publish' it using Xara's inbuilt ftp program. Which method are you using?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Problems publishing changes to my web site & placeholders not working

Hi Egg
    I hope you are well & thanks for your prompt response.

I export to my local drive into a folder where all the files are saved htm, J query, jpegs etc.. I then publish the site using Xara's inbuilt ftp program.

Looking in the index folder where the site is exported I noticed that there are a lot of jpeg repeated?

Never had a problem with it before.

thanks Dave

I export to my local drive into a folder where all the files are saved htm, J query, jpegs etc.. I then publish the site using Xara's inbuilt ftp program.
    Okay, no issue here. What you are doing is creating two copies of your website (html), one on your hard-drive and one on your web-hosts server.

The files are exported locally & the htm & the index file is there along with all the other files, but the site will not update the pages when I publish it, I am using the option of publishing using the Xara option & not via a 3rd party program.
    Then I suspect that you aren't publishing to the correct folder on your web-host. If the index.htm file works correctly from your hard-drive then it's correct. If however it's not updating on your server you may well be publishing it to the wrong folder (often the correct folder on many hosts is the 'public_html' folder)

One other thing to try is to hard refresh your browser window via Ctrl+F5.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg
    Thanks I have tried refreshing my browser & clearing the cache on my laptop & viewed the site on another device, so I don't think that is the problem.
    What I don't understand is why it published ok & then won't update as I haven't to my knowledge changed any publishing settings.

I will try again I don't think I have access to the 'public_html' folder as I pay a colleague who hosts at 1and1 I think it is.

Im wondering if say I just export the site without choosing a folder where the site goes on my hard-drive as I may have done that when tired (inadevetantly) & maybe it's picking these files instead of where I exported them to a chosen folder.

I'll have a search round on my laptop.

Thank you again, will update later.

Regards Dave

Hi Egg
    Something odd I've checked the publishing settings & all seems ok, I guess that it is something to do with the updates not communicating with the hosting, the only other I can try is to set the port to 22, as this is the info' I have from 1and1...
    Server: home112508783.1and1-data.host
    Protocol: SFTP
    Port: 22

I have checked the SFTP is set correct.,, looking at the Xara guide to publishing it says to add 22 add the end of Server: like this;
    home112508783.1and1-data.host:22,
    but they show 22098 & not just the numbers 22.

I'm trying to solve this myself as well as with your assistance.

Thanks again

Dave

Hi Egg
    I have tried everything I know & just about exhausted everything. I tried installing another copy of Web designer premium 15 on my other laptop & uploading the site with the same publisher settings, but the result is the same.

I guess there must be something odd either with the Xara program or my machine, it is odd why the sliders on html placeholders also don't work locally when the site is exported.

A couple of other things:
    maybe worth me importing a new navigation bar & try linking the pages again if this controls indexing of the site.
    Can you please advise what this is that I sometimes see on my site when designing it's like cross hairs as this is sat over the top of the html/placeholder on one page (pic attached)

Strange one!

Thanks

Regards Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Dave. Could you attach your web/xar file either here or if it's to big give a link to Dropbox (or similar) and I'll do a test publish to my webspace.
    Egg

Hi Egg
    Thanks very much I will attach it here, much appreciated!

I did try on here but it won't seem to upload it's only 15,012Kb so should upload.

If you could please send me your email address I will email it or use a transfer file program.

Regards Dave
    Last edited by Davora; 20 May 2018 at 02:40 PM.

If you don't have access to the public_html folder on the server, and that is where the files need to go, then I don't see how you can succeed with this. If you have access to the server via a password that your colleague provided you should have access to the required folder on the host, so I agree with the idea that you are apparently publishing to the wrong folder on the host. I would recommend you try downloading and installing Filezilla (ftp program - it is free) and use the info your buddy gave you to sign in to the host account and check the folder structure. I don't use 1and1 so not sure about their requirements but public_html is the most common folder you publish to.
    Good luck.