Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Links on pop-up layers

I have used a pop-up layer to create a simple menu. The pop-up layer contains links to pages on my site. It works perfectly on desktop and my Android phones, but on iPad, touchingly the links just closes the pop-up layer, so the menu doesn't work. Any ideas why this might be, and what I can do to fix it?

Default Re: Links on pop-up layers

Couldn't tell you "why this might be". But I can tell you that I had created this big demo mock-up with many 'note' pop-up layers with links to other pop-up layers and/or pages. Was having a ball and was very impressed with myself until one of the recipients said the links weren't working.

I said, "they sure are, I'm sitting right here on my computer testing them" - "I'm on my Iphone Cliff". CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! the long and short of it is that yes, for some reason the pop-up layer links don't work on Iphones OR smartphones. Or, will behave strangely on either depending on the time of day.... and yes... I tested the site on over 6 phones... oh... and Ipads too.

I had to go back and make every pop-up layer into a separate page. So a five page demo site with maybe 5 pop-up layers in each turned out to be a 30-page creation... not to mention the large pain in the as_ to have to re-do it all over...

Please anyone.... don't ask me to do a ticket with XARA, because you and I both know they don't give a crap... and I'd rather just learn XARAPRO work-arounds rather than wait for a bug fix from them....

OH, that wasn't very helpful? (for those that might say so).... too bad...

I would expect the links to close the pop up layer once you tap one of the buttons.

Not sure if this is the problem but you should not have mouse over layers on a mobile variant.

I have noticed that some times it takes a few moments for the buttons to work, especially if linking to a long document. And often a light touch will not do it.

Yes, definitely avoid using rollover/mouse-over effects when you want users with iPhones and iPads to visit your site.

I've done some more investigating, and have discovered the scenario that creates the problem.

If you create a pop up layer and put a link into it, it works fine on all devices. However, if you create multiple variants of the site, then the links in the pop up layer stop working on iOS devices (iPad and iPhone). They continue to work as expected on Android, Windows and MacOS devices.

Now that we know it's variants that's causing the problem, does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix it?

Are you putting a nav bar on the pop-up layer?

Are you using WDP 365 version 15? If so, and if you have it, try an older version like 12 and see what you get. I've one site that pop-ups cause problems in if exported from version 15 but work perfectly in version 12. Not exactly doing the same thing as you with the pop-up layers but it might be worth a try.

@gwpriester - no, I'm not using a navbar on the pop-up layer: just a simple text area containing text hyperlinks. It works fine on all devices I've tried until I create any page variants. Once I create variants, the links don't work on iOS devices, unless I long press on them and choose Open.

@bkjohns - thanks for this suggestion. I'm using Web Designer Premium 15, and don't have any earlier versions, I'm afraid.

I would use a nav bar for the main variant and create the linked buttons on the mobile variant, linking to the pages in the mobile variant. Not the other way around. This might solve the problem.

I'm not using a navbar at all, gwpriester. I have a panel that appears at when users access the menu, and allenu items are within that as text links.