Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Want to hover over an object and have the other objects dim

Just learning how to use the mouse over layer. I have 6 thumbnail links on a page mouse off layer which link to other pages. I copied the six images on the mouse off layer, pasted them into the current layer Mouse Over, located them over those six thumbs on the Mouse Off layer, then color edited them to make them dim. When I preview them if I mouse over one it dims the bright image under it on the Mouse Off layer. That's fine, but I want to mouse over one and have the other 5 dim out, not the one I am moused over.

I just thought of a way to do it, but don't know whether it will work or if it's the best way... Should I make a square that is transparent and covers all the thumbs, then paste the six thumbs onto it some how, then make six dups of these six squares, then paste them into the mouse off layer and make them all dim like before, then erase one thumb on each one that will allow it to stay clear when moused over but cause the other 5 to dim??

Not sure if I am thinking this through clearly or explaining it clearly yet.

Thanks,
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Default Re: Want to hover over an object and have the other objects dim

Well, that worked.. I made the rectangle to cover all the thumbs, then made it transparent. Then I selected 5 of the thumbs and copied them with the rectangle to the mouse over layer. I grayed the five thumbs on the mouse Over layer then grouped them with the clear rectangle... it works! When I preview and mouse over the area missing a thumb the other ones all dim. Will make 5 more like this with a blank area for each mouse over thumb.

If someone has an easier way to do this I'm all ears. Thanks,
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Am doing something wrong. With multiple layers of these in the Mouse Over, if I mouse over one, it dims all of them... #%*+#

Do you want to dim the content of the entire page or just the other thumbnails?

Create a layer for each of the thumbnails. On the specific layer place transparent rectangles over all but the current thumbnail. I think that would work.

I don't think it can be done using a mouse over layer. I think you need to do it with multiple pop-up layers.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Gary: I set up a new test page with only three thumbs to make it easier. I want all of them to be full color until one of them is moused over and that is the "active" link thumb. When that happens I want the other two thumbs to dim.

Am having no luck, I made a transparent rectangle around what will be the "active" thumb and dimmed the other two and grouped them together on the mouse over layer. I did the same with the other thumbs so I ended up with three groups on the mouse over layer, each with a clear rectangle active area over one thumb and two dimmed thumbs. When I preview, if I click on any of the rectangle active areas, ALL the thumbs dim, not just the two other ones.

Egg, not sure how you are suggesting to do it. I don't want a click and pop up, I want a mouse over action.
    Last edited by doane; 03 May 2018 at 03:23 AM.

Egg, not sure how you are suggesting to do it. I don't want a click and pop up, I want a mouse over action.
    The Mouse Over layer is a depository of alternative images. i.e. it holds the alternative image for a mouse-over event. You cannot have shapes in the Mouse Over layer that overlap buttons within the Mouse-Off layer.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Ah, you know it will be effected by the layer order.

Here's a link to a demo http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/dim-layers/

Xara file attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

Egg: What about navigation buttons? They have shapes that change the look of the shapes in the mouse-off layer, right? Or maybe I'm not understanding you?

Maybe misunderstood the requirement, but here is an example using placeholders with the htmlclass=... name attached and some css at the website head section.
    The upper buttons dim the full page and the lower only a region defined in the css.
    Attached Files Attached Files