Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: xara.com getting even further from the Xara DEsigner products?

@kate

having [just to make sure] rechecked my ver 12 license, the behaviour I am experiencing is what I would expect for updates...

but I was under the impression that this had been tweaked to take account of bug fixes... so i guess the question is:

has it? and if so, how?
    IP

Related or not? I had reason to open Xara Xtreme the other day. It's been on my machine for a long time with no issue. However on this occasion I was asked me to supply the activation code on my CD. The CD wasn't at hand, far from it, but buried deep within an unknown location within my house.

Okay go to Magix site and view my purchase history. Xtreme's there but no activation code as it was presumably pre such things. So I had to wade through my long untouched CD's and eventual found it and typed in the code. Opened fine.

So what's going on? Xtreme has opened faultlessly for years. Only thing I've done is install XDPX 15 update. Whose the control freak suddenly demanding the activation code from a long-ago purchased CD jewel case?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

is this the first time you've opened it since magix took over the accounts? if so then likely yes, related I guess - hey-ho
    IP

I don't believe so HD, just the first time since d/ling XDPX 15.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Did your machine go through the update from Windows 7 or 8 to 10? If so, then like all of my Magix programs (and many others), Xara included if I recall correctly, either had to be reinstalled or had to be reactivated, or something like that. Most likely not Magix or Xara coming and playing with your computer; they didn't have the same system way back then to deactivate a program.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)
    IP

so I guess you've opened xtreme since updating windows too, which is not to say John hasn't got a point, but if your memory is like mine these days....

one thing I am sure of, Xara [if not Magix] will rue the day they started the subscription model for the desktop unless they sort out restoring on the same computer; and BTW, changing an HDD/SSD, for example, does not count as a new computer to anyone in the real world.. and neither does restoring the OS if it gets spiked
    IP

It seems to get more and more desperate and silly as the days go by. The offer for update has been extended again. They are pushing the same stuff on the Web Designer side as well. And while I know that is a m,ore "consumer/non-pro" application than Designer Pro, I find it odd that they are including "Fastcut 2" and "PC Check & Tuning 2017". Whatever.

The Designer Pro UPGRADE is $129 on this special sale, yet the non-subscription and constantly updated with Professional features Affinity Designer is $49. I literally get my team of 3 Affinity for almost the same price as just upgrading one of our licenses to Designer Pro. SMH.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    The Designer Pro UPGRADE is $129 on this special sale
    The Sale date is all that is changing: 31 May, 07 June, 14 June.

What this is saying is Xara is trying to pressure you into upgrading as the sale price might go up. It is already over 40% of list price so this is a game of Chicken.

Why will anyone seeing these tactics even bother to upgrade if they can get by with not having on-line access? Xara needs to deliver something worth the price and remove the negativity of marketing and control it is espousing.

What annoys the most is on-line delivery is cheap. The Website M offer (value £23) is good for hobbyists but designers wouldn't use that for a client other than for demonstration of very simple sites. I suspect its uptake is low so little cost to Xara. Business website templates are one-offs so could be sold on-demand. What is not right or fair is to consider the Components and Widgets that allow DESIGN should be wrapped up in the same delivery model. It genuinely cripples a deft product for no logical or business reason. Why would you remove the ability to search for content?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

This is a Magix`s tactics ). Ugly, stupid, but apparently working tactics. Not for everyone, but working with Magix for many years. Called the "Perpetual sale")).
    Only this is lowered Xara to a third-rate product
    After all that happened ... Dig yourself deeper and deeper. I don't even know what to do Xara to look beautiful in my eyes. Because what is happening is disgusting. XDP currently periactine of two to three times at least. There is no increment of product features. I don`t see reason to do the upgrade. Well, at least not for this price! Not for templates(Yes, they can be completely thrown out!) and online widget catalog!

300$ for good soft? Ok, this is normal!
    100$ for Whistles and bells? NO, this is not normal!
    Last edited by maksimon; 11 June 2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: argh
    IP

"Sharp practice is a pejorative phrase to describe sneaky or cunning behavior that is technically within the rules of the law but borders on being unethical." - Wikipedia.

What else is there to be said?

Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP