Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Default Re: xara.com getting even further from the Xara DEsigner products?

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Just to make it clear, as far as I'm aware, you won't lose anything (except access to the ONLINE CATALOGUE, and you can download that prior to the expiry) at the end of the year, Xara will remain as it was, the day your subscription expires UNLESS you have to reinstall. If you need to reinstall, what you'll get is the program as it was when you bought it ... without updates.
    You do lose the capability to Search for any of the items in the Local Designs gallery. You do lose a secure means of retaining bug fixes in the year's cover. You do lose the ability to secure the Desktop application version you used to build your websites and other design material. By secure, I mean if you have to re-install for any reason, you revert to your purchase version [caveat: you might be lucky to actually be one update ahead as Xara has realised zapping bug fixes is probably not pukka]. You do lose the edit and create capability for the Xara Slideshow Widget. You do lose access to Xara Cloud (Xara Vapour, 'ware!)

It is also possible that as Xara plods on, you might start seeing the bleed off of your downloaded content. I am looking at ways of securing this possibly by preventing the Xara Desktop application calling home or just locking the Cache.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    You do lose the capability to Search for any of the items in the Local Designs gallery ...
    I use XP&GD15 ... You can't search the Local Designs Gallery anyway. In earlier version there was a search, but as time went on that was more unreliable ... now it just doesn't exist.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

I use XP&GD15 ... You can't search the Local Designs Gallery anyway. In earlier version there was a search, but as time went on that was more unreliable ... now it just doesn't exist.
    It was never unreliable, Xara simply failing to add the correct metadata labels and descriptions. In losing the online content access, you lose the only available search for content that used to be part of the Designs gallery, More > Find.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Just to make it clear, as far as I'm aware, you won't lose anything (except access to the ONLINE CATALOGUE, and you can download that prior to the expiry) at the end of the year, Xara will remain as it was, the day your subscription expires UNLESS you have to reinstall. If you need to reinstall, what you'll get is the program as it was when you bought it ... without updates.
    Spot on ss-kalm. Just to clarify (following Acorn's post) an expired Update Service has no impact on search in the Local Designs Gallery (which doesn't work, before or after), Xara slideshow or Xara Cloud.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Spot on ss-kalm. Just to clarify (following Acorn's post) an expired Update Service has no impact on search in the Local Designs Gallery (which doesn't work, before or after), Xara slideshow or Xara Cloud.
    If the Online Content catalogue is not available to out-of-cover users then the Xara Slideshow Widget is not available. If you have an existing design that uses the Xara Slideshow widget, it is not available for editing either. The Xara Slideshow Widget is part of the on-line part of your EULA that is stopped when Update Support stops. The Xara Slideshow Widget is not available to those in cover with version 12.

I was pointing out that after version 11, Xara chose to remove the search function from the Desktop application, leaving it to be on-line search only. This requires Internet connectivity and now, the Update Service.

I stand corrected over Xara Cloud access.

Acorn
    IP

Yes, the Online Content Catalog is unavailable after expiry of the Update Service. But no, this doesn't stop you editing an existing slideshow, if you already have one in your document.

Kate Moir
    IP

Yes, the Online Content Catalog is unavailable after expiry of the Update Service. But no, this doesn't stop you editing an existing slideshow, if you already have one in your document.
    Kate Moir
    Kate, thank you as this is new to me and leaves me baffled as I have tried several times before without any success. Has there been a widget revision?

I am also now able to access the complete functionality of the widget so I can create a brand new slideshow, all from version 12 despite being out of update support and no access to the Online Content Catalogue.

Good news.

Acorn
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Kate, thank you as this is new to me and leaves me baffled as I have tried several times before without any success. Has there been a widget revision?

I am also now able to access the complete functionality of the widget so I can create a brand new slideshow, all from version 12 despite being out of update support and no access to the Online Content Catalogue.

Good news.

Acorn
    OK, glad it's sorted. No, we haven't changed anything in the widget.

Kate
    IP

OK, glad it's sorted. No, we haven't changed anything in the widget. Kate
    That is actually very good to know.

Thank you,
    Acorn
    IP

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo software are now on a 33% discount including bonus UI kits for free (user manuals are also on a 33% discount). After not subscribing to Xara this year that's enough to persuade me, after all I still have the Xara desktop version to use if I find something to difficult to do in Affinity.

What with my age and virtually no design tool updates on Xara this is the start of a long goodbye to the company and I've used Xara for a long, long time.
    IP