Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default xara.com getting even further from the Xara DEsigner products?

I went to Xara.com today to see if there was anything new being announced about the Designer Pro product. It took me a good 5 minutes to even FIND where that product info is, with the entirety of the Xara.com site seemingly geared to completely selling the new Xara Cloud. The menu at the top has no "products" option. There is no info anywhere on the page that Xara makes software at all. I had to scroll all the way to the bottom and find the "desktop" link under products.

Given how much Xara has been pointing this direction over the past several years, this website move (which might not even be especially new), is quite worrying and maybe telling about where the company is focusing its development efforts.

I'm certainly not the first to mention it, but it sure seems WAY more front and center now.

Looking for feedback as I evaluate whether to continue using the product or look for other options.
    IP

Default Re: xara.com getting even further from the Xara DEsigner products?

it's since magix now do both the marketing and the support for xara desktop programs
    IP

Yes, the site is devoid of Xara products all but Xara Cloud as you state. Basically Magix has now taken over marketing Xara's previous software titles. Xara is still developing them but it's main focus appears to be Xara Cloud.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Wow that's a real and worrying shift of focus. You have to go to the footer for the desktop products now. It's kinda sad they're burying away such a great program. The sad reality of SAAS and subscription models replacing good desktop programs.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.
    IP

or is it the fact that xara are owned by magix...
    IP

slavelle, I think you have answered your own question.

Can anyone think a new customer, searching for a Xara web or graphics application to find the majority of first and top hits go to Xara Cloud, would then search a site for a further five minutes?
    That is not marketing that is a market withdrawal.

Acorn

@Xara - five months since an Update, 9 weeks since Magix received the Update for packaging, over three weeks since Magix promoted the Update's "New Features" that we all wanted, over a week since MB365 assured the Update was coming...
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    That is not marketing that is a market withdrawal.
    Seems to be the case. This will redirect sales from desktop program to cloud or bounce. Less people will find or be aware of the desktop programs now. Not good.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.
    IP

it's just a step along the way to making 'xara' a magix marque rather than a separate entity... the cloud saas will go that way eventually

@Xara - five months since an Update, 9 weeks since Magix received the Update for packaging, over three weeks since Magix promoted the Update's "New Features" that we all wanted, over a week since MB365 assured the Update was coming...
    has anyone yet mentioned that Affinity has just been named 'Application Creator of the Year' in this years Microsoft Developer Awards - Xara can't even get an update out in time...
    IP

Agreed. The Magix site is festooned with product variations with Xara tucked in towards the bottom. A very kaleidoscopic approach to marketing. Buyers are not going to loiter long enough to determine which product is right. The majority of graphic designs and websites are still generated on desktops with installed software. I don't see that changing as there is no compelling reason or advantage to abandon current working habits and products. This will be interesting, albeit disappointing.
    IP