Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Default Re: xara.com getting even further from the Xara DEsigner products?

Quote Originally Posted by maksimon View Post
    I understand what you're saying but unfortunately there is no possibility to describe in detail the error in your reasoning. These things cannot be compared. If I could speak fluently in English, I have proved you that you are wrong trying to compare these things. Maybe someone else will explain to you ...
    I don't understand what you don't understand about this comparison. I go into detail about why I make the comparison and why expecting 'upgrades' enables terrible business practices in which we as consumers are left with buggy software, always being promised a fix that brings with it new problems and in turn new fixes, rinse and repeat. If your car has a problem in it's design, it either gets repaired (patched) or replaced (recall). The end. These things don't introduce new problems to where you're constantly taking your car back in every other week for a 'bug fix'. Wouldn't you be afraid to drive it if this were the case?

Weak analogy aside, my statements beyond this still stand. You can leave the analogy out and tackle/defend my arguments against always updating things that have no business being shipped needing updates at all.

I do mention that people are conditioned to expect constantly updating software for features that aren't useful or asked for or constantly fixing bugs that the last bug fix update fixed. Again, I point to classic software that came with paper manuals you can put on a shelf, no way to connect online to 'update itself' and usually didn't need to because it was programmed right the first time and there was a clear goal and feature list that was adhered to. You might have heard of this thing called a 'design document'. Now we have what is called a 'rolling schedule'...it's a profit plan not a method of creating a finished product.

Cloud-anything is nothing more than a business, in my opinion, saying 'F-- you, we're not going to try anymore to finish anything or have a clear plan. We're just going to update for the sake of updating and interrupt you in unexpected ways along the way, maybe every month, maybe every other month, but we'll do it and you'll pay us for it.' Nope, I'm not paying for it, and I urge people to reconsider this marketing tactic as that is all it is. The user does not benefit in this scheme. The software should be made with 400 bug fixes when it is introduced, not WHILE we are using it, we shouldn't even be aware there were any bugs to begin with.
    lots of my xara-made stuff ends up on my tumblr. NOT ALWAYS SAFE FOR WORK BUT MOSTLY IS

Default Re: xara.com getting even further from the Xara DEsigner products?

Weak analogy aside, my statements beyond this still stand. You can leave the analogy out and tackle/defend my arguments against always updating things that have no business being shipped needing updates at all.....

...... The software should be made with 400 bug fixes when it is introduced, not WHILE we are using it, we shouldn't even be aware there were any bugs to begin with.
    the thing about bugs is, by definition, you don't know they are there until they crop up.. how long are you going to wait checking for things that might not be there? you will never ever know if you have caught them all, too many variables

this is a basic flaw in your analogy - the variables involved in car usage are relatively low - the variables involved in computer usage are by comaprision enormous... a car is designed to do a specific job/job_set - even just one computer program may be designed to cope with a multitude of tasks; the computer itself is a vast array of software platforming with all the conflicts, proritisations, security issues, etc that entails... and it all has to hang together... you would be better comparing such to a complete transportation system than to a single car.. still not a good analogy, but better...

and because the variables are enormous it is a given that not everything will work as it should under all possible circumstances - frankly it is pretty amazing that it works as well as it does given the complexity

this is no excuse for rogue companies pushing out half-baked product enhancement, or tying in users with an unfair update regime ... but modern systems are evolving all the time.. you have to understand this and it's implications re getting everything to work properly with everything else...
    -------------------------------
    cut out the dead wood