Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: xara.com getting even further from the Xara DEsigner products?

As I understand it, Dan you will lose whatever enhancements (such as they are since you last paid for V.15) will be lost, which I imagine will amount to an extremely small hill of beans.
    But, what do I know? I'm as confused as every other bugger around here.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    As I understand it, Dan you will lose whatever enhancements (such as they are since you last paid for V.15) will be lost, which I imagine will amount to an extremely small hill of beans.
    But, what do I know? I'm as confused as every other bugger around here.
    Bob.
    The bug fixes and enhancements since the purchase date will only be lost upon re-installation. If one never needs to re-install, then they remain. (Which, concerning the bug fixes anyway, is dumber than a rock. I would also argue that seeing how I am paying in advance, any enhancements should also remain. The application should be restored to application + everything that has been fixed/added during my subscription period.)

The content catalog (or whatever) can be downloaded. Once downloaded, find where it is on your system and make a backup to one or more thumb-drives or other media/hard drive or whatever. This is because if you ever do need to re-install, the downloaded content will be wiped out. But you can copy it all back from your backup copy.

Mike
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    The bug fixes and enhancements since the purchase date will only be lost upon re-installation. If one never needs to re-install, then they remain. (Which, concerning the bug fixes anyway, is dumber than a rock. I would also argue that seeing how I am paying in advance, any enhancements should also remain. The application should be restored to application + everything that has been fixed/added during my subscription period.)
    I agree If you don't re-subscribe, then everything you had during your subscription should be available ... especially since the actual amount you got for the upgrade was peanuts. Looking back on the last few versions I've had, the difference between version 9 and the current version is negligible.

If someone offered me a new program that ONLY did what one of the updates contain, and said would you pay $X.XX for this, then invariably the answer would ALWAYS be a resounding NO. I am ONLY updating, because I like Xara and feel that having the latest version is good. Have I got value for money ... in my opinion, ABSOLUTELY NOT. I updated to version 15 earlier this year and the ONLY "enhancement" has been to fix an issue that shouldn't have been changed in the first place (Stretching/squashing). The addition of TABLES (again, in my opinion) was a joke ... The tables themselves are almost useless, and for all their functionality could have been done with lines and text in earlier versions. I was expecting a range of usable cells that you could paste excel data into. That doesn't seem to be what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    The content catalog (or whatever) can be downloaded. Once downloaded, find where it is on your system and make a backup to one or more thumb-drives or other media/hard drive or whatever. This is because if you ever do need to re-install, the downloaded content will be wiped out. But you can copy it all back from your backup copy.
    Is it actually possible to download the CONTENT CATALOG, or are we just talking about the useless "clipart free" LOCAL DESIGNS GALLERY, where we don't even get the clipart that was in earlier versions.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP