Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Use as a Online Backup

Anybody use Xara Cloud just as a backup for your personal files, i.e. My Documents, Desk Top, Xara drawings etc.?
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Use as a Online Backup

This may just be me, but I do not trust the cloud to keep information safe. The cloud is just a fancy word for an internet site with servers and these can be hacked, some easier than others.

External hard drives are inexpensive such as this 4TB drive from Seagate https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backu...ackup+drivefor $99. This is what I use. It's slightly larger than a deck of cards!

One set back with that is you can only access this drive from your home computers Gary. So if you want to access a file from your mobile whilst away from home, you can't. I do agree re the security issues though.

On Ron's issue with the Xara Cloud as a backup I'm not convinced it's the best solution. I prefer to access my files via Google Drive & Dropbox.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

This backup drive that I have Egg as I said is old slightly larger than a deck of cards and 3/4" deep. So it is very portable.

Considering that Google has kept copies of all Android phone calls and text, I would not trust Google any further than I could throw them.

Xara cloud connects to your cloud storage drives, we don't provide any storage options currently. I would always recommend syncing your critical designs to another storage device regardless. Cloud storage providers mirror your data across several servers for redundancy so it's extremely unlikely for you to lose any data if you do use them, privacy concerns aside

Gary.. keeping your backups in the same physical location as your computer does not give you much protection from fire [unless you have a good firesafe and you use it], natural disasters, or from house theft

If you are worried about security upload your data in an encrypted format - hackers rarely have time to mess with encrypted data unless they are targeting you specifically for some 'good' reason

and remember to a computer there are no special characters, just characters.. the best encryption passwords are the really long ones