Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Use as a Online Backup

e.g. P8assw0rd!1991 - https://howsecureismypassword.net/ - would take a computer today 204 million years to crack
    That's my password! How did you get it?

I use Acronis True Image who also offer a cloud based back up so using all the useful information here I am going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    That's my password! How did you get it?
    hey I didn't know you were born in '91!

that would depend on how quickly you can type and of course, choosing something that you can remember easily - actually for me all lowercase letters would be quicker than using shift especially if its a password with rhythm ....

satisfying security requirements is subjective

if a hacker is using a computer program to go through the combinations all that keeps you safe is the number of possible combinations which must be high enough to take too long...

Another fault with Cloud base systems is you need internet to access while with an external drive you do not. Here in the NorthEast we havehad a lot of bad storms that have taken down not only the power but also the cable and pone lines this past Winter and Spring. Power usually gets restored fairly quickly but the other lines can take weeks.

A friend on mine, his wife works for an Optometrist and they can not send in any eye class prescriptions to be made or process any insurance claims without the internet. They were without internet access for over 2 weeks. Can you imagine if you were a designer and need to get a design off the cloud during this time.

Everything has both good and bad point and need to be looked at carefully.

Ray

I agree that having your actual business, [as opposed to tertiary backups], internet based is not without risk

P8assw0rd!1991 - https://howsecureismypassword.net/ - would take a computer today 204 million years to crack
    I looked into this.. my info is that it could be cracked relatively quickly with the right algorithms...

here's something you might want to read as a starting point:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5...good-password/

just checking your password in a website checker is like accepting wiki on face value - you need to know what the bad guys are actually doing..

A friend on mine, his wife works for an Optometrist and they can not send in any eye class prescriptions to be made or process any insurance claims without the internet. They were without internet access for over 2 weeks. Can you imagine if you were a designer and need to get a design off the cloud during this time.
    This is OT but almost everything we do is connected to the Internet and if the Internet goes down we are in deep doo doo. Even many traffic signals are controlled by the Internet. Banking. Businesses. The scanners at the supermarket and stores. You name it and it is probably in some way shape or form connected.