Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default 1st family challenge

So as not to disrupt any other thread. I thought Id'd send some photos of our 1st family challenge for Barbara and anyone interested.
    These photos are many years old (perhaps 20)

All parts were hand made by me. The dish was formed with Bondo fiberglass with a cropper pipe beat into shape, the mirror was self sticking silver mylar cut into pie shapes and stuck on

1st image shows it setup and ready to go, my son and others looking on, 2nd a view showing some of the various submissions, 3rd Dad and looking it over. I won but it was over engineered and perhaps too large.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0001.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	121159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	121158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0003.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	121157
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: 1st family challenge

After these past 20 years, have you perfected the design to make a death ray?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    After these past 20 years, have you perfected the design to make a death ray?

Ray
    No, it has a precise focus on the coffee pot which may not be easily altered to focus anywhere but I suppose that could be done, that would require changing the shape of the ellipse on the fly or a whole different concerpt. Anyway a death ray was not my intent then or ever. Sounds like you have been watching TV about searching for Tesla's death ray "A Murder Declassified".
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

That's really cool Larry. How effectively did it work? Would it boil water?

Larry,

What it reminded me of was that the original Myth Buster's had done a show on Achamedes and one part was on a Sun ray that could light ships on fire. However with that said, I did watch the Tesla show too.

Ray

Yeah Ray, I watched that MythBusters show too. Still for the dish to work one would need to know the exact distance and build an elliptical dish that would focus there. As I recall the MythBusters hand a long line of people holding polished bronze metal which was not all that effective.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509