Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How do I stretch a photo? Driving me crazy

Except ... It doesn't appear to work. Using ALT resizes the frame, but doesn't stretch the photograph. Unless I'm really missing something. I don't consider myself stupid, but whatever they have done is COMPLETELY unintuitive, and the as far as I'm concerned XARA has always been reasonably intuitive.

And since there are no release notes that say what's been done or changed, it's hard to work out.

HORRIBLE ...

Why can't it revert to it's previous behaviour.

Please someone, tell me I'm missing something!
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 23 May 2018 at 12:53 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi Keith,

You and everyone else, myself included, who has complained about not being able to squash a photo will be pleased to know that the Alt key now works. Thanks for putting in the link. I couldn't remember what the trick was supposed to be, and I didn't notice anything obvious about how to find this out.

There was a message containing more information on what was supposed to be in this new release. Can someone please point me there?

Thanks,
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Ahh ... The trick was to switch to the NORMAL handles. Obviously ... Didn't think about changing the handles.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Hi Keith,

You and everyone else, myself included, who has complained about not being able to squash a photo will be pleased to know that the Alt key now works. Thanks for putting in the link. I couldn't remember what the trick was supposed to be, and I didn't notice anything obvious about how to find this out.

There was a message containing more information on what was supposed to be in this new release. Can someone please point me there?

Thanks,
    John I've just made a post with more info, including links to the Release Notes, here.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post

Why can't it revert to it's previous behaviour.
    On my system, with the Xara 15.1 update, I do not have to hold ALT to stretch a photo in one direction. However, If I hold ALT then I get the version 15.0 behaviour of changing the crop size.

There is a way to turn all this stretching confusion off. Right click on the Lock Aspect Ratio (the lock icon) and uncheck [ ] Smart Transform.

You can always turn it back on.

Very old time user that I am, I prefer this feature OFF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smart transform off.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	121204  

Ditto here and from your poll 98% of other users.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Gary you are a GOD ... I am a very happy camper!

Now the $64,000 question ... Could we have done that all along? That's all I really wanted. But ONCE AGAIN, very unintuitive ... I would never have thought of right clicking that lock ... Am I alone in that?
    Keith

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was in a panic! Every time I upgrade Xara, I suddenly can't do some function or other that I always need to do. It's still there - it's just hidden somewhere unexpected. As usual, Gary Priester saves the day. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

It is perverse to hide such a feature, both in the UI and from the Release Notes.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat