Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy How do I stretch a photo? Driving me crazy

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to stretch a photo, and it's been driving me crazy.

This is what I want to be doing, and apologies if this sounds ranty. I want to be able to have a phot and resize it either by entering the size or stretching it using the handles. All I get though is the image automatically cutting the top/bottom or sides.

I've done hundreds of Google searches and writing to Xara has been of no use as they never replied. I even tried upgrading from Photo & Graphic Designer to Designer Pro, as I'm sure I used to do this all the time with Xara.

From what I can tell, all the help files and official files/videos say the same thing, intellignet resize because most of the time stretching a photo will look bad. Does this mean that they just decided to not make it possible to do it? As a designer, it would be nice to decide that for myself.

I did find a section in the help file, at one point, saying to press the Alt key while resizing, but that doesn't make any difference.

If anybody can help with this, it would really save me losing all my hair

Thanks
    Last edited by MysticMongoose; 13 May 2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: How do I stretch a photo? Driving me crazy

Hi and welcome to TalkGraphics MysticMongoose.

Don't worry you're not alone. I can't find the poll thread recently held on TG but this new 'feature' is hated. There is a workaround coming shortly in the next update according to Xara.

Gary P will probably supply the link to his poll when he see's this thread.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I couldn't figure it out either. So far strecthing in 365 seems to change the aspect ratio and crops the image. At least 365 does, but XPGFD 11 did it correctly, like you want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	121124 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	365 streth.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	121126 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v11 strech.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	121123

EDIT:These were old photos of me.

Welcome to TG MysticMongoose
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Handsome guy in those pictures!

Still using Xara Designer Pro X12, can't us v15 at the moment due to a loading bug.
    Did you try "Show selection bounds handles" in combination with "Lock aspect ratio". I don't like using the new handles, they are very confusing to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stretching.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	121129  

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried both options with that button, but it cuts it with both of them unfortunately.

Thank you everybody. Being new, I somehow missed all the other answers above, so wanted to thank you all.

I've been using Xara since about 2002 at different times, and can't remember this ever being a problem in the past.

I spoke to somebody at Xara in about December, and they told me there was going to be a fix, but there hasn't been an update since November, so it doesn't seem to be on their list of important updates.

they are having issues with the update according to Matt [xara CEO]....

ok, at least we know they're working on it.

if theyre having a problem why can't they just revert that part of the code back!? I really need this update!

Waiting... Using this at a full time job.
    Ron Cavagnaro