Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip Off!

Default Rip Off!

I have been using Xara web design since 2005 and have paid for numerous upgrades since and now find all my PAID FOR items in the design gallery have disappeared and I'm now expected to pay ANOTHER 40 upgrade to have access to the items I have ALREADY PAID FOR. I only occasionally use the programme for my own websites - this is rediculous!! I want an explanation

Default Re: Rip Off!

my advice:

read the licence agreement that covers what you actually paid for

never again have any dealings with a company that is so disingenuous

watch carefully as they continue to fail to deliver and dig themselves in ever deeper and breathe a sigh of relief that at least you are rid of the b******t

(see the 'Update Service' section for explanation)

https://www.xara.com/uk/eula/

I believe If you have a copy of v11, you can still access the online catalogue for items available up to that point.
    Jono (Photo & Graphic Designer v15.1, Win10. Expires: 04 June 2019, Updates: 1 (21 June - content update)

Quote Originally Posted by kilo View Post
    I have been using Xara web design since 2005 and have paid for numerous upgrades since and now find all my PAID FOR items in the design gallery have disappeared and I'm now expected to pay ANOTHER 40 upgrade to have access to the items I have ALREADY PAID FOR. I only occasionally use the programme for my own websites - this is rediculous!! I want an explanation
    kilo, write to Magix/Xara and explain that the EULA that your Xara application directs you to (https://help.xara.com/article/187-wh...igner-programs) is wholly unclear regarding the Update Service and that there is no upfront advice as to how to download all the templates.

Additionally, neither
    Designer Pro includes a large collection of fully customizable templates in the Online Content Catalog (provided as part of the Update Service).
    nor
    Web Designer and Web Designer Premium include a large collection of fully customizable templates and Widgets in the Online Content Catalog (provided as part of the Update Service), including web themes and miscellaneous web graphics.
    suggest that the templates are removed after the Update Service has lapsed.

Suggest you are willing to accept a DVD of the templates for a small cost or request that the Online Content Catalogue is made available for a period enough for you to download all the content that you would have done had you know of this limitation.
    Hiding the small print in the EULA and changing it and posting https://help.xara.com/article/185-ho...gner-templates only a month ago is not good business practice.

Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

That's fine, if I wanted to subscribe to future updates of the programme or access to support for the next twelve months, I could choose to. However I have previously paid for content such as Web packs and templates which are now no longer available to me.
    Nowhere in the past has Xara informed me that they will remove something from my possession after purchase sometime in the future rendering the whole programme worthless. Without any component parts the programme is no different to me going back 10 years and coding everything in html.

If I had known this was going to happen I would never have bothered with the programme in the first place. Over the years I have PAID FOR:
    Xara3D 6
    Template Pack Bundle 1 - 5 For Webstyle 4
    Xara Web Designer
    Xara Template Pack 1
    Xara Web Designer 6
    Xara Web Designer 7 Premium
    Xara Widget Pack 1
    Xara Web Designer MX Premium
    Xara Web Pack 1
    Xara Web Designer 9 Premium
    Xara Web Pack 2
    Xara Web Designer 10 Premium
    Xara Web Designer 11 Premium
    Xara Web Designer Premium 365

Each time I have paid for an 'upgrade' I have been disappointed, a couple of web templates I'm unlikely to use, a couple of photo slideshows very similar to previous versions, some clipart that I could get better quality from the internet and some minor additions to component properties. The only reason I continued to 'upgrade' was in the hope of something exciting to be added. I continued to use the programme as I had previously PAID FOR the components which meant I could make some quick changes to my websites.
    I think this is a really poor way to treat a repeat business customer.

ok

you only ever buy a licence to use the program and access the content in accordance with the licence agreement

you do not buy the program
    you do not buy the content
    you only everbuy access to the content, but you do not buy that forever... except what you can download and keep before the licence runs out

the trouble is, who reads [and understands] licence agreements?

Acorn does, and has become something of an expert... his advice is probably the best you are going to get...

Xara's model is flawed.
    Xara has conflated updates with bug fixes.
    At the end of the Update Service, you lose the right to download an use the application with updates and bugs fixed within the Update service period.
    All Xara will offer is the version available at the time of purchase.

You can install two copies and provided you keep them registered, you can use the latest version at the expiry of the Update Service until your machine breaks or your have to re-install it.

Xara can provide media with all the content when you purchase the application but it fails to advise why this is a good idea.
    Xara does not offer the media for purchase at any point thereafter though you might be able to get a nice Magix Sales person to provide it.
    You therefore have to "Download All" when within the Update Service.
    You, additionally, should save this to a separate remote filestore or off-line media as Xara has, once, trashed the local cache and you would be back to nothing.
    It is possible to tweak the Windows Registry to stop Xara doing this or getting your usage through the Internet connections it keeps open you your machine.

Xara should provide the content as a link for a big fat download as this would by=pass the Online Content Catalogue.

Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

Someone told me to look at Affinity Designer. I gotta say, for the price it looks pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelpusher View Post
    Someone told me to look at Affinity Designer. I gotta say, for the price it looks pretty sweet.
    Xara Web Designer (& Premium), for once, say it in their names.
    The Thread is in Xara web design chat.

Acorn

Sorry Acorn! I'm getting old.