Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Curious..Possible changing of .JPG or graphic ICON

You can add graphics (COVER ART) to mp3 audio tracks as ID3 tags so that there are visual indicators of what is playing, try using MP3TAG which is freeware to add them. However as far as I'm aware, you can only add ONE file per MP3.

I don't believe that you cannot force a CD to auto play. I think that is a setting local to the computer it's playing on. Same goes for the JPG's. As far as I am aware, the customers computer will only display what it is configured to display locally..

I'm not sure how you plan to use the 5 graphic files with one audio track. Can you explain further what you intend for the graphics.

Also, a standard CD player MAY not play MP3's as it has to be able to read data rather than audio - an MP3 file is a data file, not an audio file (even though it is audio data) - some modern players might be okay with it, but I suspect that most will not.

NOTE: Unless you are using re-writable media, you only get one go at this. You cannot ADD or REMOVE anything once the disc has been burnt. I would try "burning" exactly what you need to a blank FLASH DRIVE, first and only when you think everything works as it should, then switch to CD's.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Like Keith says, autoplay on a computer is an OS option, you cannot force it from the CD - usually from about windows 8 onwards the default is not to

Same applies to a CD player really. depends what kind as to whether they will auto-play

But whether auto play is set on the computer or not, if you just have the mp3 on the disk, then the OS will not autoplay - you need to burn the CD

some computer music players may automatically add the track to their library, and it may be possible to set them to autoplay, but the bottom line is that this is only controlable at the user end - you can't do it

good point about burning to reusable media [CD/flash] - for the final CD you want ones that can only be written to once, but burning is not a perfect process, not only do you need to get everything right first, you need to be aware that even then, some of the burns will fail and have to be discarded

This is what I'd like people to see when they open the CD on their computers. However, i want the MP3 to have a different icon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDconfig.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	121152
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

As far as I'm aware, that level of detail depends not only on the programs that the user has installed, but also on how their individual computers are configured. It is totally outside your control.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I agree with Keith. It's possible to change icons on your system but not on someone else's. Common sense when you think about it. Would you want all your default icons changed by some else's software?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You guys, I'm sure, know a heck of a lot more about all this than I, but I do have some thoughts. To me .JPG and .MP3 has nothing to do with anything on anyone's computer, they're, to me, generic. This would help the people I'm selling the CDs to. They are interested in what I'm selling and I want to make it easier for them to know what each icon represents. More than likely they do not have Xara, and the icon only represents the file and nothing on their computer; still want the files to be .JPG and .MP3 so that they have the ability to open them. Feel free to straighten me out..

I don't know but might it be possible to include and link to a mp3 player for the mp3, and, nclude and link to an image viewer for the jpg's. Now that I think of it, this sounds more like a web page. I guess whoever runs the CD would need to install those programs to make it work. I don't know but it's just a thought. I don't know if it is even possible to do what I am wondering or if there would be copyright restrictions.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Gilbert, on a windows system each file type is represented by an icon, but that icon is defined not by the file type itself but by the default program the computer uses to open/play it

so in your example you show mp3 with the icon that windows 10 uses if it opens/plays by default with windows media player [a blue note on white background]

if you sent that to me it would show on my system as an icon that is an orange and white striped cone, because it would open by default in VLC media player - and because wav files and mp4 files and lots more also open by default in this player, they all will show the same icon

this is the way it works - the icons are not part of the file, they are part of the OS

I got'cha' and thanks for the input that makes total sense..case rested. Thanks to everyone for the educational input. It's appreciated and you never get too old to learn..

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGilbert View Post
    ...you never get too old to learn..
    thank goodness for that..