Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Linking graphics

I am using MAGIX Web Designer 15.0.0.52427 DL Dec 14 2017I.
    I have a webpage that I update weekly with a table from Excel.
    I can’t find a way to save a selection of cells to a graphic format in Excel, nor can I find a way to import an Excel file (plus I only want a small section of the Excel worksheet). I am using the Windows Snippit-tool to create a Tabel.jpg file in my Picture directory. Actually it standard creates a JPG file (with caps), will that make a difference?
    I would like to not just import into the Tabel.jpg but I would like to link it, so that it automatically updates to the new graphic when I open the WebDesign file. Then I can just publish it directly to the webspace.
    I used to be able to do what I wanted with SharePoint Designer 2007 because it automatically loaded the renewed graphic file since it had the same name. Is there any way to link an imported file in WebDesign?

Oddly enough, publishing the one page website from WebDesigner creates an svz_index... directory, but it does not upload the svz.html file that it is supposed to, nor does it publish an index.html file. So I used export to create the files on my HD and then my FTP upload program to copy those files to the webspace.

Oddly enough, WebDesign creates a low resolution copy of the table, and called it 11.jpg. Fine, I can FTP upload the original Table.JPG file, delete 11.jpg and then rename Table.JPG to 11.jpg. Unfortunately, when I re-export (which I wouldn't have to do all that often) WebDesign assigns the table graphic a different numerical file name. For right now, all I have to do is upload the updated Table.JPG file, delete the numbered WebDesign file and rename Table.JPG to the number (and small case jpg???). Am I missing something. Is there a better way to do this?

David

David

Default Re: Linking graphics

Windows used to have something called OLE I think it was that would automatically update an image if it were modified. I am not sure that feature is viable any more.

And to the best of my knowledge Xara cannot automatically update an image.

Any images you export (.jpg .JPG same thing) or PNG are going to export at 96dpi and if you check off Retina display, also at 192dpi. This is a standard for Windows display.

You can select your image and optimize it to export as PNG which will be sharper. Or if you have the option to create a .PNG instead of JPG I would chose that option.

But as far as replacing one spread sheet with another, I think you will have to switch out the images and republish.

Hi David, I plough a lone furrow here.

If you wish to incorporate a spreadsheet in your website, use Google Drive. You can probably do the same via Excel. Basically you select the spreadsheet & select export as website. You then place this exported website containing your spreadsheet within a placeholder in Xara.

You can open the spreadsheet in Google Drive (or Excel) amend it and the latest revision will show on your Xara website without the need for images or republishing within Xara. I've replied to this question several times over the past but if you're interested please ask for further advice
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@Egg, your approach with an embedded Excel web export is fine other than the HTML MS produces is dire and not everyone like Google. Any Cloud product that can host such a file is OK.

I recently offered https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...w-Table-Widget, which the OP could use to publish a single page of the resulting table data and use the Embed a website Widget to add to the main site. Updating is then a quick operation as the table data filename never changes and the upload time is minimal.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Cheers Acorn. As stated I don't use Excel's export as website feature, just stating it was probably possible. I find Google Drives html export excellent. Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I will try these suggestions tomorrow. Obviously all of them still require an upload. So does my final thought on the matter: Snippit Tool to turn the Excel table into a JPG. Rename it to (in this case) 18.jpg and use my FTP upload program to put that file on the site.

Is there a way to export the WebDesign page and make sure the files in the directory it creates are PNG's rather than JPG's? I can same the graphic file from Snippit as a PNG if that will increase the quality. Can I just rename the PNG file to JPG and have it work anyway?

When I either export or publish the page, the jpg file containing the table (always a different file name), the quality is reduced. This is why I overwrote that file with the original file after renaming it. REally inconvienient that WebDesign renames the files.

I have this page all set up and it will probably hardly ever change except for the table (graphic). For some reason, when I publish it, it won't create a svz.html or even an index.html (which I would have to rename to svz.html). In order to get that file in my directory, I had to export, and than FTP upload the svz.html file (which IS created with Export) to the directory on the webspace (weird).

David

If you are so adamant to use an image for a table of information then you have two things to try.

Set the snip to PNG by all means; it won't improve the quality through. Zoom Excel first then snip.
    Drag the PNG onto the Web Designer page and scale to the right size. Then use Web Properties > Image and set Web image type to PNG.

The second step is to select the PNG and give it a special Name of filename="<thisWillAlwaysBePublishedAsThisFileName >", where <thisWillAlwaysBePublishedAsThisFileName> is what you want Xara to publish the filename as, each and every time. Note, do not include the PNG extension. If you create fresh snip and give it a filename of <thisWillAlwaysBePublishedAsThisFileName>.PNG then you can use an FTP program to upload just that file to overwrite the previous. No need to republish the site every time. You can still use Xara's Fast publish as an easier method.

You do know how to create a page with an HTML extension? Is the index page (or svz.html) page the only page you are publishing?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat