Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How to improve quality of Photos using Gallery Photo Widget

Quote Originally Posted by golfertel View Post
    Acorn Good to hear from you. Is there an optimum size and resolution I should you that would also help matters. I also assume that JPEG is the required format. Terry
    Terry, provided the image resolution you are using provided enough for the pop-up then Xara will publish at its optimum.

XDPX allows you to change the default 96dpi (Options > View > Bitmaps).
    There is also a Retina setting (192dpi) you might try.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks I have enough to be getting with the problem. Terry

What I have observed when bringing a high rez photo into a web page document, is regardless of the original resolution, if the dpi exceeds 260dpi, it is reduced to 260dpi. If you (and this is a PITA) import the photos into a Print document, the images come in at full resolution. You can scale, etc. When you publish as has been pointed out, Xara will export the images as JPG or PNG at 96dpi, and if you opt for retina display, a duplicate at 192dpi.

That said, looking at your gallery, and the age of most of the people in the photo (about my age) I wonder if you are not over thinking this? I doubt if these folks in this community could discern a sharp photo from a fuzzy one? The appeal to the community is seeing photos of the members. You are not selling a product here that depends on the highest quality photography. Just my dos centavos of course.

Hi Nearly all images are 200 or 72 dpi as most of them are straight off of cameras but they can be quite large. One thing I did ask if they are large then when dragging into a widget they will be compressed and I assume lossy. If I know the optimum size I can then change my image sizes before I pull then into Xara which I feel could be the route cause of the problem, it's a guess on my part. If you know the size could you pass that on please.

Your second paragraph is amusing, first I had to look up the meaning of PITA and "dos centavos" that done about 4 members,Seniors, pointed out the lack of sharpness of the images even though I have not really released it to the section, maybe because on two other sites we have the images are pretty good. You are quite right we are not selling a product, but that doesn't mean we should not strive for the best. I have not taken offence by the way, I appreciate anyone who offers help.

To repeat I use Bridge and Photoshop not the Xara Photo Graphic package. Thanks for coming back to me. Terry

Out of interest I cropped about 10 images to the optimum of the widget images, 500 X 375 px at 250 DPI and dropped them into the Xara widget. The end result viewing on preview there was an improvement in quality but it wasn't dramatic enough to warrant the time it would take to carry out that process on about 400 images. My conclusion is, after a lot of discussion with you all thank you, is I'm going to accept the quality that the widget produces. As far as I'm concerned it was worth investigating, I thank you again. Terry

Well 72dpi is what Apple has always used. So any image at 72dpi when in Xara is going to be soft.

The attached photo at this size is about 130dpi. I optimized one to 96 and the other to 72dpi. (Right click on the photo and select Optimize Photo > Resolution.)

So maybe your photos are less than 96dpi which will definitely cause a loss of sharpness and detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resolution.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	120885  

Could you attach one large image direct from your camera and also state what widget your using Terry? That way we could all have a go at 'best results'
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

As requested Egg, this straight from one of my camera's but only 72 dpi, however there must be a limit on size of attachment, will try it out. Apologies for delay have been out and about. Get back to you as soo as I can. Terry

Name:	A__7A9D (1).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	120889  

The attachments were 4 and 8 Mb files so they now been compressed by the attachment process, can I send them any other way so they do not get compressed like that?

Name:	Group JPEG 4 Plus Mb.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	120892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Group JPEG 8 Plus Mb.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	120891  

This is not this hard. 72dpi is the resolution of many photos. On a Mac desktop screen the photo will be sharp. On a Windows screen it will not.

If you looked at my two photos it demonstrates that IF your photos are less than 96dpi, they are going to be fuzzy.