Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Want to hover over an object and have the other objects dim

Gary, wow, how did you do that? I'm going to have to study this one, I had tried putting the three different variations of the three thumbs on layers above the mouse off button and I couldn't get it to work, a big thank you!
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Siran: Thank you very much, but when I click on any of the boxes it dims the whole background which dims the other boxes, not just the other boxes. Take a look at Gary's demo.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Gary: I'm still trying to figure out how this is working.. when I tried the layers thing after trying my #6 post again, I had put two new layers above the mouse-over layer and put the box groups in each of these layers, which didn't work.. if I clicked on one box it made them all dim. Must be something to do with trying to use a transparent box for one of them.. I'm going to have to really study how you did this.

You have them in separate layers above the mouse-over layer and it seems to be working. I entered different links on the mouse-off boxes and when previewed that also works. Having an image also pop up is also a neat idea, I may also use that on the page.

Thanks so much,

The dimmed version of the thumbnails appears on the individual layers. If you isolate each layer (press the S icon next to the layer in the Page & Layer Gallery) you will see the two dimmed thumbnails. So the thumbnails are not really dimming, the images on the layers are creating the illusion that they have dimmed by covering the original images.

Does this make any sense?

Yeah, I get it now, brilliant, Gary, or maybe I'm just really a nube on all this, anyway, really appreciate your help and everyone else here. I have this habit of trying to do things differently and it always results in questions, so hope you don't mind, there will probably be more for all of you. ;-)

In general, Is the mouse-over layer any different than any other layer above the mouse-off layer.. does it have special properties?

Well you could start with dimmed thumbnails and place a bright thumbnail on the mouse over layer. I use this effect here and throughout the site http://placitasartists.com/gallery_04.html

MouseOver lets you have the effect and a link at the same time. So in my example the photo links to the artist's gallery.

Gary's solution is excellent but it does require largish gaps between the buttons otherwise the pop-up doesn't close.

The example Siran provided eliminates this problem. Buttons can be flush together and it only requires mouse-off & mouse-over layers.

Siran: Thank you very much, but when I click on any of the boxes it dims the whole background which dims the other boxes, not just the other boxes. Take a look at Gary's demo.
    Sirans example:

The top 4 buttons darken the whole page.
    The bottom 4 buttons only darken the lower 4 buttons, not the page.

Here's an example using Sirans code. I believe it supplies exactly what you're after. (I've chosen to make the 'off' buttons paler, not darker)

EXAMPLE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg: Your attached example works and I like it, can you attach a Xara version of it so I can study it? When I previewed Siran's attachment in post #10 before it didn't do that, I had the problems I mentioned, top row dimmed the whole BG and bottom row dimmed a big rectangle around everything:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siran_2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	120880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siran_1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	120879

Here it is with no mouse over:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siran_3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	120881
    Last edited by doane; 04 May 2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add another image

Thanks, Gary, yes, I was aware of that way of doing it, just felt like doing it differently as I didn't want all the images dimmed or without color to start out, but that would be good for other situations, thanks, and nice site!

Glad we could help.