Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default FotoSketcher & Xara Painting

This image was developed in FotoSketcher (Free) and in Xara. Far more time was actually spent in Xara but FotoSketcher is more obvious in the results so I posted it in the non-Xara gallery.

Earlier in this thread I posted the original photo. If you want to give it a go yourself to create something out of it by all means feel welcome. It would be interesting to me to see what others come up with. Gary P. has already done a version using Prisma.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bridge.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	120750

Default Re: FotoSketcher & Xara Painting

Ross, I tried to do one but FotoSketcher diesn't seem to work right in windows 10.
    I straightened your photo but FotoSketcher cock it every time, then I tried to add a nice frame aqnd matt buit couldn't do that either. I don't know if it's the program that's changed or Windows, anyway I haven't given up yet, may try in a different program.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I made another -- more of a comic book style...

Name:	Bridge2.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	120758

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Ross, I tried to do one but FotoSketcher doesn't seem to work right in windows 10.
    Larry I'm using FotoSketcher v3.30 64-bit edition with Windows 10 Home. No problems for me. When you open FotoSketcher you see a parrot image repeated twice. Well sort of -- the one on the right is highly processed. The "drawing parameters" icon looking like a little palette is the main one you need. Play with it letting it process the parrot. When you get the hang of it (in a two or three minutes), load any of your own jpgs. Any image will do. Note if the processing is taking a long time it is likely your image has relatively high resolution. You may find you get more interesting results with lower res images. With my phone photos I open them in Xara first and export a smaller lower res jpg to use in FotoSketcher.

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	956 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	120761
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 01 May 2018 at 11:51 PM.

First time I added a frame in FotoSketcher... For some reason the forum wouldn't upload the FotoSketcher generated jpg or png versions with the frame. I opened in Xara and re-exported and the the forum could upload. Strange.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elvis_FotoSketcher.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	120763  

This version was done in Filter Forge

Name:	IMG_1461A.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	120765
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

That's what I was attempting, it sure used to be easier to select a frame and matt color but not now. Will try again. Thanks
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    First time I added a frame in FotoSketcher... For some reason the forum wouldn't upload the FotoSketcher generated jpg or png versions with the frame. I opened in Xara and re-exported and the the forum could upload. Strange.
    That's what I was attempting to do Ross, it sure used to be easier and less confusing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    That's what I was attempting to do Ross, it sure used to be easier and less confusing.
    Might be more of a problem with the forum software. The jpg/png files that wouldn't upload here for me opened fine in other software I have.

Kieth - your Filter Forge example looks good. I can achieve a similar rendering of the bridge in FotoSketcher but it won't have the stroked sky like you achieved in the same image. Interesting effect. I went to the Filter Forge site and see lots of beautiful images by users. I particularly like the softer more fluid effects but the painterly ones are very effective too. Being recently retired with ZERO income I'll have to pass on buying Filter Forge -- even though I really want to!

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	120776

In my testing of the framed Elvis (impersonator) I found Windows 10 Home had installed a program called 'Paint 3D'. The attachment is a screenshot -- which seems to be the only way to export the 3D image it produces...
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 02 May 2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Add in the 3D painting image

Works fine for me in Windows 7. Still had to do the re-import thing in Xara.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butch 2.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	120777  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.