Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using Prisma to add effects to a Xara Drawing

Ross recently stated on a different thread that he had created a plug-in for SketchUp to give a pencil type effect. This reminded me of an Android/OS app called Prisma that can also add pleasing effects. I know Gary P uses this too.

Here is an example of the type of effects that can be achieved. It's not just a simple filter, the filter effect can be varied. The image can be saved & further effects added etc.

LINK

Apologies re the crap audio
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 30 April 2018 at 01:31 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Using Prisma to add effects to a Xara Drawing

Here's another example of using prisma:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue-cans-prisma.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	120703  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Prisma looks really interesting. I use something similar -perhaps not as many features- called FotoSketcher. It is a desktop application so might not have the same frustrations. It can however be slow when working with high resolution images.

I wanted to highlight that you can do composited images where the linework is kept separate from the processed image. In my mini-tutorial note the Image B could have been non-photographic. It could have been one of your Prisma exports (although for this technique I'd suggest the image going to Prisma be colour only - without lines.

Name:  Eggnog1.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  Eggnog.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  56.4 KB

Egg - How are you getting your images into Prisma. I think on Android phones it is easier to copy and image to the phone. It is a major PITA for iPhone.

Here are three Prisma variations. They have recently begun offering a subscription service that lets you save larger hi res versions and also with access to more filters.

Name:	Prisma 1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	120712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prisma 2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	120713  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prisma 3.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	120714  

And of course more touch-ups can be done for fun...

Name:  mv landguard.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  52.5 KB

And here's what happened when the sepia underlay took a trip back for further processing. The linework was added back to 'crisp' the image up...

Name:  mv landguard oil ptg.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  81.0 KB

Thanks Egg -- you gave me something to have fun with.

Regarding Prisma --- looking at their galleries I really impressed with what Prisma users can do with portraits.

Hi Ross / Gary. Really like your input. I particularly like the final image above Ross.

And here's what happened when the sepia underlay took a trip back for further processing.
    What program did you use to produce this?

@ Gary. I totally agree regarding importing images into Prisma, it's a nightmare. I can manage it on my iPad but on my iPhone it makes my head sore.

I tend to do most of my work on the PC using the Bluestacks Android emulator but this can be very querkie at times but at least it's much simpler to import images. As an emulator on my decrepit machine it's pretty hit & miss at times. . The Apple version seems to to just want camera shots, not making it simple to bring in saved jpg's.

@ Ross:
    Regarding Prisma --- looking at their galleries I really impressed with what Prisma users can do with portraits.
    It's excellent in what it does. I'm not a lover of most plug-in type effects but I think this app is a bit above the rest.
    Egg

Egg - That last image derived from the earlier sepia one, sans linework, being reprocessed in FotoSketcher. I use version 2 but should upgrade to the current version 3. It is free. For the image I used its oil pastel filter on the sepia jpg. The result still had sepia tones. The image was then further processed in Xara with the photo tools - including revising the hue to the blue tones. The same lines from the sepia version was then layered on top. It actually has that same lines layer (with its stained glass transparency) repeated a few times to increase the saturation of those lines. That seemed necessary given the darker tones of the underlying image.

Most of the times I use FotoSketcher I still do some further processing in Xara. I don't tend to use FotoSketcher for one-button processing although I'm sure most users do. If you try it you'll see each filter has numerous settings sliders - when you achieve settings you like, the settings can be saved. It will also do batch processing. Also note that after you apply a filter effect - say "pen & ink sketch 1" - you can subsequently use another filter that will blend the processed image with the original. I use that feature fairly often.

One trick with using FotoSketcher is knowing the effects are resolution dependant. If the resolution of the source image is high the resolution of the processed image will also be high. It often works better to resample your source image to lower resolution first in order to get a stronger, more expressive, result.https://www.talkgraphics.com/attachm...1&d=1525124890

Name:	FotoSketcher - son.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	120724  
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 30 April 2018 at 11:17 PM.

I just downloaded the current version of FotoSketcher (Version 3) and it is much improved. You can use a brush to paint results more selectively. For instance in the attached watercolour the effect was applied to the entire image. I then adjusted the settings and applied those via a brush to just the parts I wanted the revised effect. In that way I was able to get a more detailed face while leaving other areas more fluid. It is fun to use! Note you can change effects with the brush so you can combine more than one effect - each with a wide variety of settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scott_FotoSketcher2.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	120727