Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hi, new to Xara and need some help.

Hi

So grateful to have found this group, thank you for letting me in! Also please let me know if I have posted in the wrong place.

I have purchased Xara premium and created a website. When I published it, it did not show any errors. All seemed to be fine but when I clicked on the link telling me it was all honky dory, it was still the good 'ol website I created with webplus software.

Please could anyone help me? I spoke to ipage about this and they do not understand what is going on. I also send a message to Magix and have not hear from them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	120698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	120699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	120700

This is my current website, I created something similar in Xara. www.mudpiefolkestone.com

Default Re: Hi, new to Xara and need some help.

Welcome to TG Coastal.

You haven't removed your old site which is http://mudpiefolkestone.com/index.html

The new site is published but it's at http://mudpiefolkestone.com/index.htm (NOTICE NO L ONE THE HTML BIT).

Browsers look for index.html and if that can't be found looks for index.htm. Xara by default produces pagename.htm pages (not pagename.html). So when you publish your site it's not overwriting your original index.html but publishing an entirely different page index.htm

I suggest you use filezilla to move your old site into a sub-directory.

Great site by the way It requires a Location / Find Us page. Where are you, somewhere in Folkestone I guess

LINK
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 29 April 2018 at 07:11 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Love the playful design of this site.

The buttons top right are not working for me. Make sure they are linked, and bring them to the front (Ctrl + F)

In addition to Egg's suggestion to using Filezilla to remove the old files, you can change the Page Filename for your home page to index.html This will cause all pages your publish to have the .html extension and will overwrite the current files with the same name.

But for the sake of good housekeeping, I would delete all current files from your site and then republish from Xara.

Wow, you guys are genius!!! I'm speechless! Thank you so much for all the advice, how did you find my site?

Once I do all you told me, will my new site be found on www.mudpiefolkestone.com?

I really don't know much about all this but love creating. Thank you so much. I will try to delete all files although have no clue how to begin.

So truly grateful!

Liza

the screenshots show the site info

I really don't know much about all this but love creating. Thank you so much. I will try to delete all files although have no clue how to begin.
    You can do this with a third party program such as Filezilla (FREE utility https://filezilla-project.org/)

Or this is more direct but a bit slower, in Web Properties > Publish click on Explore Web Space (after you have entered your FTP info) click Explore Web Space.

As shown in Egg's screenshots above this shows the entire contents of your director. You can one by one select each file or folder and press Delete to delete them.

Once you have done this then Publish your site from Web Designer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explore web space.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	120702  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You can do this with a third party program such as Filezilla (FREE utility https://filezilla-project.org/)

Or this is more direct but a bit slower, in Web Properties > Publish click on Explore Web Space (after you have entered your FTP info) click Explore Web Space.

As shown in Egg's screenshots above this shows the entire contents of your director. You can one by one select each file or folder and press Delete to delete them.

Once you have done this then Publish your site from Web Designer.
    Thank you so much! I was able to delete all the files from file manager on ipage and it has appeared where it should do. I just have to fix all the broken links and add a little pizzazz to it. I am so grateful to you all!!!!!!

I'm in Sandgate, Folkestone. The info is in the Opening hours, map & parking section. Maybe it needs changing to be clear but it's been there for 4 years like that. I did not notice maybe it would be confusing...need to think about this now...lol. Thank you!

So you are Perhaps the location button needs to be a bit more prominent and the page have a Google Map and Google image of your premises? Glad to hear you got it sorted though.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    So you are Perhaps the location button needs to be a bit more prominent and the page have a Google Map and Google image of your premises? Glad to hear you got it sorted though.
    Thank you so much. I'm trying with the google map widget and also the fb newsfeed. I had it in the old website and the map stopped working in webplus. Found a great video that was posted on this forum for the fb newsfeed and it all works great but when I set the code all that appears is the word Mudpie with a link to my fb page. It's a learning curve I suppose, hopefully will get it all sorted today.

I could always put a "good luck finding us" button if it doesn't work.