Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: Hi, new to Xara and need some help.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

Love the playful design of this site.
    I agree 100% with Gary on that. Makes me want to come to the studio and play.

I see it says at the bottom of the homepage it says "This site was created by Mudpie with lots of love and butterflies" -- the love really shows! The ability to communicate that love is rare. Good job!

Regarding the homepage I think it would be a bit more user-friendly if the four central images also had the associated links. I'm suggesting, for instance, that clicking the image of the child with the wheel also links to the 'Clay Workshops' page.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    I agree 100% with Gary on that. Makes me want to come to the studio and play.

I see it says at the bottom of the homepage it says "This site was created by Mudpie with lots of love and butterflies" -- the love really shows! The ability to communicate that love is rare. Good job!

Regarding the homepage I think it would be a bit more user-friendly if the four central images also had the associated links. I'm suggesting, for instance, that clicking the image of the child with the wheel also links to the 'Clay Workshops' page.
    Thank you so much! I have loved creating it and love my business so much. The reason I had it all as a whole image was because I didn't want to put too many images as it resulted in it being really slow when I originally had it with webplus. On webplus, I was unable to rotate text so each was a png file in order for me to get that look. Now I am thrilled I can do it in Xara. I might do this.

One thing I have a problem with in Xara is that I can't export png images being 100% quality. I set it to this but it makes it 85% quality. That is a feature I had in webplus and the image was crisp and beautiful. Now I find it somewhat blurry. I have made it bigger now to see if it looks a little better. If it works I might make the photos separately.

Hi again Coastal:

One thing I have a problem with in Xara is that I can't export png images being 100% quality. I set it to this but it makes it 85% quality. That is a feature I had in webplus and the image was crisp and beautiful. Now I find it somewhat blurry. I have made it bigger now to see if it looks a little better. If it works I might make the photos separately.
    jpg images are lossy and you can determine how much is lost by reducing/increasing the quality slider.

png images are lossless and always export at 100%. (e.g. you can't export a png at 85%)

I think what you're getting confused by is that on publishing Xara by default exports an image to the index_html_files folder automatically. You can override this by selecting each image / opening Web Properties / Images and change the options from:

Let Xara Designer Pro X choose the type automatically
    or
    JPEG (Best for Photos) [and you can also select the Quality resolution]
    or
    PNG (Best for Graphics)
    Then Apply.

You can do this for every image in any page.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi again Coastal:

jpg images are lossy and you can determine how much is lost by reducing/increasing the quality slider.

png images are lossless and always export at 100%. (e.g. you can't export a png at 85%)

I think what you're getting confused by is that on publishing Xara by default exports an image to the index_html_files folder automatically. You can override this by selecting each image / opening Web Properties / Images and change the options from:

Let Xara Designer Pro X choose the type automatically
    or
    JPEG (Best for Photos) [and you can also select the Quality resolution]
    or
    PNG (Best for Graphics)
    Then Apply.

You can do this for every image in any page.
    Thank you so much Egg. This is what I have been doing and once I click apply it changes to 85%.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image a.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	120721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image b.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	120722

Coastal, once you select PNG there is no quality value, it only applies to JPG's. Ignore the 85% setting, it only applies to JPG's.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Coastal, once you select PNG there is no quality value, it only applies to JPG's. Ignore the 85% setting, it only applies to JPG's. This is how it should be.
    The image quality exports very blurry. Is there perhaps another setting. I can't get around how poor the quality is though. ETA I made the image smaller to be able to upload it here and it's just as blurry as the website...lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image quality.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	120726
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mainphoto.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	120725  

Hi again Coastal. I can't see any problems with most of your images. I assume most of the images were originally jpg's & if so you'll get no improvement by exporting as png's. How did you make the page background?
    Egg

Hi again Coastal. I can't see any problems with most of your images. I assume most of the images were originally jpg's & if so you'll get no improvement by exporting as png's. How did you make the page background?
    Hi Egg, thank you! All my images are png. I put them as jpg here as it would not allow me import them into this forum as perhaps they were to large. The photos look lovely on the iPad webpage but very poor quality on the desktop. Never had this problem beforehand. I hope I can solve it, this way I can add more photos where needed. I added a couple of animations last night and it all went crazy with some text boxes. I took them out sharpish.

Thank you so much for all your time. I wonder perhaps if it has something to do with having the trial version before.

How did you make the page background?
    What size is the original image/source that you're using to create the present background image?
    I need to know this if I'm going to assist you Coastal.
    Egg

What size is the original image/source that you're using to create the present background image?
    I need to know this if I'm going to assist you Coastal.
    The size is w 3890 x h 3478 I have tried different sizes, small first and up to over 4000 but this is the one there now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mainphotoforum.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	120760

Sorry If I don't reply tomorrow as I will be in Belgium, thank you so much.