Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Image Gallery with support for different sized images

I'm looking for a image gallery that will work. I'm currently using Portrait thumbnail gallery and I love it, but...

If I have a large graphic landscape mode panoramic it crops it alright for the thumbnail but when I click on View original it is no where near the original size. I can get it to work by changing the margins on that photo, but with a lot of photos this will be time consuming. Is there any gallery out there that I can drag and drop my photos into, and will just work, shrink them down to thumbs and open to original size when clicked?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Image Gallery with support for different sized images

Quote Originally Posted by pjiv View Post
    I'm looking for a image gallery that will work. I'm currently using Portrait thumbnail gallery and I love it, but...
    If I have a large graphic landscape mode panoramic it crops it alright for the thumbnail but when I click on View original it is no where near the original size. I can get it to work by changing the margins on that photo, but with a lot of photos this will be time consuming. Is there any gallery out there that I can drag and drop my photos into, and will just work, shrink them down to thumbs and open to original size when clicked?
    Thanks so much!
    I am always confused with this question. There is no need for any image gallery made by someone else.

All you need to do is drop your images onto the page and resize and re-position.
    You can re-position into a grid with a Guide layer or use Snap to Objects.

You can get fancy with a thick line border or a contour or even soft-group a frame.
    Borders and contours would get include in the next step, the pop-up.

Simply use Image > Photo pop-up to get the original opening up.

Do not crop.

Once you have your pattern, you can use Paste attributes to apply consistently to all the images; frames have to be hand-cranked.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have about 50 images, they will not fit on a single page, that is why I'm using a gallery. I wish I understood how to create a template like you suggest that would work. Then I would of course use it. My needs are simple, check out the gallery page http://www.thsgw.com/ and you will see what I mean. The gallery works, it just crops the photos which I do not want. the images are there, and if I edit the settings on the gallery it will work if I drag the image borders out, but then the thumb looks smaller (must be keeping aspect ratio or something)

Thanks for your reply and help.

I just made a gallery page on a site I just finished... I'm just learning how to use this program too. I simply dragged the images onto the page, reduced their size as a group, then placed them on the background in a visual arrangement I liked. I have about 28 images on my one gallery page and they are all different shapes. I mouse selected all of them and set up the popup with all options. I then selected a mouse over effect for all of them while I had them all selected. Then, while they were all selected I shared their variants which put a copy of the whole group on the mobile page. On that page I resized them as a group so they would fit on the page. The whole thing works great. Just be sure you don't put any shadows under any of the thumbnails using the menu shadow tool or you will have major problems with the popups.

Someone here may have some ideas about creating sub pages to your main gallery page if you have so many images you can't put them on one page. I haven't looked into how to do that yet.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

@duane, thank you for your explanation and experience.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I found the earlier post where I was trying to create sub pages, Boy had some good ideas, see this: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...light=sub+page

I am just gettting back to this for another site I am starting again. I'm going to also look into the idea of using Sub Domains to create a sort of quasi nested page setup. Will let you know what I find.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Quote Originally Posted by doane View Post
    I just made a gallery page on a site I just finished... I'm just learning how to use this program too. I simply dragged the images onto the page, reduced their size as a group, then placed them on the background in a visual arrangement I liked. I have about 28 images on my one gallery page and they are all different shapes. I mouse selected all of them and set up the popup with all options. I then selected a mouse over effect for all of them while I had them all selected. Then, while they were all selected I shared their variants which put a copy of the whole group on the mobile page. On that page I resized them as a group so they would fit on the page. The whole thing works great. Just be sure you don't put any shadows under any of the thumbnails using the menu shadow tool or you will have major problems with the popups.

Someone here may have some ideas about creating sub pages to your main gallery page if you have so many images you can't put them on one page. I haven't looked into how to do that yet.

That's great if you have so few images, wait till you have 250+ images to do. That is the trouble I'm getting into.

In post #3 you said you had about 50 images... how could you now have 250 and who would want to spend the time looking through that many? Maybe you need to narrow it down to the best ones? And you can spread them over several pages, they don't have to all be on one page. If you do have a lot, why don't you organize them with similar attributes in each gallery page. I gave up on using the photo widgets because they do crop artwork I want to show, which can vary a lot from portrait to landscape and all different sizes. I found it's actually easier to use the method I outlined in post #4. Once you get the hang of it, it's simple and fast.; at least give it a try.

Xara is pretty neat, it gives you a lot of flexibility. Once I figured out that I didn't have to do one image at a time, it really impressed me. Once you arrange the images on the page the way you want, you can zoom out a bit and select a whole group of photos and apply a mouse over effect, make them all part of a gallery pop-up with different options like a slide show, text, etc.
    Last edited by doane; 04 May 2018 at 02:59 AM. Reason: more comments/ideas

Quote Originally Posted by doane View Post
    In post #3 you said you had about 50 images... how could you now have 250 and who would want to spend the time looking through that many? Maybe you need to narrow it down to the best ones? And you can spread them over several pages, they don't have to all be on one page. If you do have a lot, why don't you organize them with similar attributes in each gallery page. I gave up on using the photo widgets because they do crop artwork I want to show, which can vary a lot from portrait to landscape and all different sizes. I found it's actually easier to use the method I outlined in post #4. Once you get the hang of it, it's simple and fast.; at least give it a try.

Xara is pretty neat, it gives you a lot of flexibility. Once I figured out that I didn't have to do one image at a time, it really impressed me. Once you arrange the images on the page the way you want, you can zoom out a bit and select a whole group of photos and apply a mouse over effect, make them all part of a gallery pop-up with different options like a slide show, text, etc.
    I have about 24 pics per page. Once I get them to work I'll just duplicate the page, it's a web site for a group that has been having picnics after graduating 50 years worth of photos, I think they did a good job cutting it down to only around 250. I'm working with only 50 right now. I'm going to make my own because I can not have cropping going on, and I do have different aspect photos I'll be working with. Thanks!