Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 1 point perspective

wouldn't call you cursed Ross - some of us go for copying what is out there in minute detail, some of us let what's inside our imagination take over to an extent...

and yes - its the modern way - get kids to play tunes before they learn the theory it motivates them much better- and some never need to go any further...

I got it to work Ross.

Obviously the 1-point video I posted was more freehand perspectives and I thought it great for what it was.
    As a delineator myself I know what you were talking about however in this video he couldn't show how to proportion things properly or how to properly proportion a receding object(assuming they are the same size) or how accurately locate the VP's that is beyond the scope of the video.
    I occasionally would do a 1-point but almost always did 2-point so don't be too hard on the guy.
    I only posted that video because of a previous post where someone wanted to draw something in perspective and I suggested trying a 1-point simply because I thought at the time it would be easier for him/her.

I also found a youtube tutorial on drawing a city in 1-point perspective but haven't watched it yet, I'll have to do that and see.
    Could be there is more to 1-point than I thought.

I would like to see some of your drawings if you don't mind.

Awhile back I posted some of my some of my architectural paintings, both gouache and magic marker, sorry I cannot find the link, anyway all was hand drawn and painted (colored) by me, even though I do not have much of an ego I thought I was pretty good at what I did actually very good.

maybe someone here knows and can post the link.
    Last edited by wizard509; 28 April 2018 at 05:56 AM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    some of us go for copying what is out there in minute detail
    Ah yes that would be me.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Poo, I know I posted a reply here but it doesn't show. So what did I do wrong this time I wonder. Never mind I found it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I don't really have access to many of the drawings I've done as most were done as part of my work. I did find examples of one-point and two-point perspectives I had drawn years ago. Both are drawn in pen & ink (rapidograph technical pens) with the siding lines drawn in hard pencil. The second one was my mother's flower shop. Both were drawn with photographs for reference. In later years the vast majority of 'perspectives' I drew used SketchUp modeling software. The third image is a basic example of that -- it is straight from SketchUp and features a custom "soft graphite" line style I developed & sold commercially for use in SketchUp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-point by ross.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	120686 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flower shop.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	120687 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soft_Graphite_Sketch_RossMacintosh.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	120688

By the way my criticisms of the video weren't about a lack of detail. Rather it is about accuracy. I fully accept abstraction & simplification. I just think if you are trying to draw a steam locomotive and you want it to be taken seriously you should use some reference materials to get it convincingly right. It can still be abstracted or simplified but at least get the basics right. To do otherwise you run the risk of some loudmouth saying it is cartoonish & naive.

I just think if you are trying to draw a steam locomotive and you want it to be taken seriously you should use some reference materials to get it convincingly right. It can still be abstracted or simplified but at least get the basics right. To do otherwise you run the risk of some loudmouth saying it is cartoonish & naive.
    no problem with that;

be interesting to know who the target audience is though, something you can't assume

might even just be a bit of creative fun

Thanks Ross. Nice drawings.
    @ handrawn, "might even just be a bit of creative fun " I don't know about that, i watched another of his videos and that's how he does it, so Ross may be right and maybe that guy doesn't know sll the ins and outs like Ross and I do, never the less it is an interesting video.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

that's just a wry dig at another thread Larry

Ross is/was an architect - like I said before, the video guy is an artist and you cannot automatically apply the rules of tech drawing and CAD to Art, that's not what it's about...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    never the less it is an interesting video.
    I do think it's great that there are people out there willing to make videos and share them on the interweb thing. Nicely prepared step-by-step instruction videos like that hopefully have encouraged some to try doing their own drawing like that. Given the video had over a million views that seems very likely to have inspired many. If it did - that's a great thing. Sadly many people never experience the satisfaction of artistic pursuits because they (wrongly) assume they can't do it.

how true. I myself didn't start drawing until I wes in the Marine Corps and my first attempts were pitiful.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509