Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1 point perspective

some time ago a m3ember asked about drawing a building in perspective. I suggested a 1 point ito keep things simplw, this was nit well received. a little while ago I ran across a youtube video that shows very well what I was referring to. Take this as you will. This video shoa freehand method of sketching in perspectove. While there are methods of keeping the various elements that are receding in the proper sizes assuming they are the same size to b4egin with. Never the less this is a very good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeUaC9cOjEg
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: 1 point perspective

Excellent find, Larry.
    I loved watching it.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thanks Rk.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I found another on youtube about drawing a city in 1-point.

Some time I started a tutorial on how I went about setting up and drawing a perspedtive but didn't finish it, now it is lost and I have thought about doing it again but I can barely read what's on the screen, so that may not happen now. Antway my methods were hand done and can be e a real problem to do in Xara because the VP's can be so far away.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

I agree with Rik - that is a very good example Larry, thanks

Thanks for sharing Larry. I only wish I could draw like that!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

In the younger years of my career as an architect I was constantly drawing perspectives. Most were just quick throw-away sketches used to develop and discuss ideas with colleagues. Occasionally they'd be drawn more seriously - sometimes taking 25+ hours to draw and used as 'artist's visualizations' by our clients to market our designs. I sorry to say when I watched that video I was frequently cringing. While he had drawing skills he really doesn't know much about buildings and his imagined ones are rather cartoony in their naivety. It made it hard for me to watch. One that really bit me was the first set of steps he drew. The risers as drawn would have each been more than a foot high. Those babies are big steps! The last thing he drew was the shadow of the railing - and he drew it incorrectly.

I understand that he more than likely has the skills to sketch a real scene, from life or a photo, accurately. My opinion in this case is only that he really doesn't know his subject matter well enough to wing it successfully. Of course I understand that such "success" is in the eye of the beholder and I am perhaps cursed with being too obsessed with the details given my background. No doubt he's just trying to show people they can accomplish such a scene themselves. In that I think he is indeed successful.

Watching the video I realized there are other perspective techniques that he could have taught. For instance he could have used more care when locating & sizing the windows on the side of the first building. Imagine he wanted to draw three equally spaced windows. The way to locate them is to draw a diagonal reference line on the building face from from one corner to the other. (Either of the two possible diagonals is okay). Next divide the forward corner line of the building into four equal segments by adding ticks to that vertical line. A ruler can be used to do it accurately. Then project reference lines from each of those ticks back to the vanishing point. Where each crosses the diagonal draw a vertical reference line. Those will be the centerlines of the windows. [Note it also establishes the vertical centerline of the building face in perspective -- and notice it (due to perspective) is closer to the far corner than it is to the forward one]. Those centerlines of the widows provide a more accurate clue for drawing them in correctly than just winging it like he did in the video. By the way, his window that was closest to the vanishing point was much bigger than the one closest to the forward corner. The technique with the diagonal can actually be used to draw a grid (in perspective) on the building face. That makes it easier to locate widows, doors, signs, etc. and get them sized correctly.

I should note one-point perspectives are not common because they oversimplify and can result in the drawing appearing cartoonish or naive. The scene in the video was relatively well-suited to the technique. It would have appeared wonky if he had also tried to show the front of the building at the left side of the drawing. Why it works is he used a relatively narrow field of view. Perspectivists think of the field of view as a cone. One-point perspectives require a narrow cone to look reasonable. Most traditional architectural perspective drawings are two-point perspectives and they are drawn using grid approaches (either progressively drawn through constructing the perspective or pre-drawn as an underlay). The grid approach allows the depth to be more accurately represented. You'll notice he rather arbitrarily located the back corner of the first building. To do it the way he did it required a lot of intuition as the position of that line is highly significant. Many students following his method are likely to get that wrong as even slight relocations of that line have significant implications on how long the building would be. Relative to the doors & windows he ended up drawing I think he located that back corner of the building too close to the vanishing point. The implication is he drew a relatively long & narrow building -- with wide door & window openings on that side.

I could go on & on but it isn't easy to explain all the nuances of drawing perspectives. I'm sure I'm putting some of you to sleep! Maybe I need to make my own video tutorial. The odd thing is computer graphics are changing the way we see perspective. I can explain that thought if anyone would like.

Ross

Well I'm an artist, not a designer or an architect/draughtsman, and as an artist I like it; I also recognise the style... you call it cartoonish/naive, I would say nothing wrong with that at all and he is giving an art school not a technical drawing school.. Artists abuse perspective all the time

but that said you make some good points from a 'get it realistically spot on' point of view

BTW Intuition [and creativity] is probably best taught learnt [or if you must: learned] by watching others use it
    Last edited by handrawn; 27 April 2018 at 08:06 AM. Reason: learn em' teach'em badger them not

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    I am perhaps cursed with being too obsessed with the details given my background. No doubt he's just trying to show people they can accomplish such a scene themselves. In that I think he is indeed successful.
    You see I didn't totally dismiss him or his effort. I really do see value in what he's done.

Here's a video featuring Jim Leggitt that discusses perspective drawing as design visualization. The hybrid techniques he developed, combining computer graphics with hand drawing, have influenced thousands of architects and professional illustrators. Well worth watching and being inspired.
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 27 April 2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Revised the hyperlink so the video starts at the beginning.

I don't know why but I can't get the link in my above post to start the youtube video at the beginning...