Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 1 point perspective

FWIW I started drawing in school in the back of my exercise books, when bored during lessons - cartooning is 'shorthand' what you don't draw is as important as what you do... too much detail kills it...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I started drawing in school in the back of my exercise books, when bored during lessons...
    My experience is similar. The best thing that happened for me was Grade 8 in Mr. Banks class. It was a small school and we spent most of every day in the same class. Mr. Banks didn't like small individual desks and so he swapped them out for large tables & we sat two-to-a-table. To each table top he taped down a covering white bristol poster cardboard. He told us we could draw/doodle as much as we liked on the tables -- as long as we promised to listen when drawing. It was great. I drew continuously that whole year plus I took seriously the promise and learned it is possible to draw while thinking about something completely different. I suppose I learned what we'd call today: multitasking. Thank you Mr. Banks.

What I liked to draw were big floating cities. I don't know why but it was my thing. They were like huge aircraft carriers with skyscrapers on the deck. I'd draw them big -- like two feet wide and sometimes take weeks to complete one drawing. Whenever we wanted a new drawing surface Mr. Banks would provide it. Great teacher!

Cool

I certainly wouldn't be without the radio ... although to be fair I prefer classical or jazz without lyrics when I'm concentrating hard