Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Finished My First Xara Site - feedback please and some probllems still

I'm not sure that it has anything to do with the Xara site. It's probably a visited link in the browser cache. Try clearing the browser cache, or use a different browser and see how that works.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Re: Finished My First Xara Site - feedback please and some probllems still

The links will be visited link colour if they have been visited in your recent browser history.
    Try clearing your browser history.
    CTRL-F5 just clears the browser cache.
    Re-uploading files makes no difference as you have discovered.

OK, you guys are right about the links color. Also, I opened it in a different browser and it is fine too. I had thought the ctrl-F5 cleared everything, but it apparently doesn't.

BUT, I still have the anchor link problem I mentioned above in #17 post. Has anyone had a chance to look at it and have any ideas what could be causing this? It does it in several browsers and the preview.

Thanks,
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

I hadn't thought to clear the browser history either ...

Quote Originally Posted by doane View Post
    ... Anchor problem: Go to the Biography page (http://lochrie.doanehoag.com/biography.htm) and just below the mural at the top there is a text link "see more info here" that takes you to an anchor on the Data Links page located on the text "News from the States" When you get there you can't scroll to the top of the page and the menu. I've tried this over several times with different anchor links and have the same problem.
    Work just fine for me! Assuming the RED text DATA AND LINKS is the top of the page!
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Same here, anchor links work fine in 2 different browsers (still allow to scroll to the top of the page)

BUT I noticed..
    http://lochrie.doanehoag.com/data%20links.htm#Data:32News:32from:32States

the %20 is a space in the url
    :32 are spaces in the anchor link
    (ascii for space is 32 which is hex 20!)

So, I highly recommend removing spaces from these, as I guess that is the causing problems on some systems and not others. Use underscores instead of spaces if necessary.
    Last edited by sculptex; 25 April 2018 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Removed auto parse which truncated url

I was always "taught" NOT to use either spaces or caps in URL's, or filenames, as some Unix systems (and I believe there are still quite a few around) cannot deal with either properly.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Work just fine for me! Assuming the RED text DATA AND LINKS is the top of the page!
    Keith: The Red Data And Links is NOT the top of the page, that's the whole problem! Go directly to that page from the menu at the top of the Biography page and you will see that it has the same menu bar system, but when you go to the the anchor on that page by using the "See more information here" text link on the Biography page, you can't scroll up and see the menu on the Biography page. You can only scroll up to the bottom of the wide desert image. I've tried this in three browsers and an iPhone and it does the same thing.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Quote Originally Posted by sculptex View Post
    Same here, anchor links work fine in 2 different browsers (still allow to scroll to the top of the page)

BUT I noticed..
    http://lochrie.doanehoag.com/data%20...2from:32States

the %20 is a space in the url
    :32 are spaces in the anchor link
    (ascii for space is 32 which is hex 20!)

So, I highly recommend removing spaces from these, as I guess that is the causing problems on some systems and not others. Use underscores instead of spaces if necessary.
    When you use the link from the Bio page to the Dat page anchor 1/2 way down the page you can scroll back up to the top of the Data page and see the menus at the top and the full bar photo???

I've used three other web creation software programs and never had this happen with anchor links... something is wrong, but I will try your recommendation:

On the Data Links page 1/2 way down I highlighted just the word "News" in the text line "News from the States" and in the Names I named it "data_news_from_states" Then on the Biography page I highlighted the "(See more info here)" text line just below the mural and I linked it to the Names anchor, "data_news_from_states"
    I saved and previewed it and it has the same problem.. when you click on that link on the Bio page and it takes you to the anchor on the text line on the Data page but you can't then scroll all the way back up to the top of the page to the menus.

Ah I see - strange behaviour. Sorry the spaces thing might be a false alarm then.

That header section seems a bit messed up somehow, the title moves in a parallax fashion to the rest, it just doesn't seem consistent. It could be that some rendering is done improperly because the page is accessed partway down when going straight to an Anchor and something at the header is expected to be rendered first?

It might be best to try and redo this fresh on a test site and get it how you want as there could be some remnants of things in your header area that is causing a problem? I have had stuff in the past and where i've 'messed about' with things a bit and had no end of troubles for this reason, only for them to work fine when I redo fresh.

I can see the problem too. You state you're using the word 'News' as an anchor. I've had issues with this previously. Try removing the link to the text 'News' and make a small image 5x5 px alongside the text block and give that the anchor name. Can't say it will work but without your web file it's hard to track down
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host