Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Finished My First Xara Site - feedback please and some probllems still

Would like some feedback on this site; it's my first site using Xara 15 Premium. It's a sub domain of my main site which I have yet to redo. This one on the artist, Elizabeth Lochrie, isn't completely finished, but is done enough that I uploaded it.

lochrie.doanehoag.com

I'm still having a few problems:

When I dxport the site to a folder on my computer it works fien, but when I publish the site it uploads all the files and images, etc. to the index_html_files folder, but it doesn't upload any of the htm page files into the E_Lochrie main folder which is under my public_html folder. That E_Lochrie folder is a sub domain of doanehoag.com and is pointed to when lochrie.doanehoag.com is entered. For some reason I have to upload all the page htm files using my host filemanager program to the E_Lochrie folder.

Another problem I ran into... I have a couple of text links to anchors on my other pages that are about half way down those pages. When viewed, it takes you to the anchor location, but you then cant' get all the way back up to the top of the page and the menu bar.

Also Not sure how I can use groups to save on file sizes as I don't completely understand where they should be used.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 23 April 2018 at 02:05 PM. Reason: linked URL
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Default Re: Finished My First Xara Site - feedback please and some probllems still

Terrific site. I added a link to your url to make it easier for the members to see it.

I think you need to link your sub folder to public_html/E_Lochrie

Default Re: Finished My First Xara Site - feedback please and some probllems still

Spotted a spelling mistake on the home page. Expidition should be expedition.

Miko: Thanks a lot, will correct it.

Gary: Thanks! Not sure how to link the subfolder E_Lochrie to the main Public_html folder... In the Xara settings for publishing I already have public_html/E_Lochrie in the sub folder (optional) slot... does that need to be something different for the path to it?
    Also, I have http://lochrie.doanehoag.com/index.htm in the website ULR slot used for a sitemap?
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Very nice site Doane.

One small suggestion is you have underlined headers & sub-headers. Often the underline doesn't extend the length of the text line. Personally I avoid underlines unless they are links. If you do want an underline, create a decorative one yourself or download one from the content catologue.

This is how I'd set up the sub-folder. You've already done this, you can visit the site using the url http://doanehoag.com/E_Lochrie/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doane.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	120637  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

doane - I would do it like Egg has pictured. But if you have tried this and it does not work, then contact support at your web host and see what they suggest.

I have an artists site I host and every artist's gallery is in a sub folder. I link public_html/artists-name and this works. But every web host has different ways of doing things.

Thanks, all. I have it set up like Egg shows in Xara and at Startlogic, my host, I have the lochrie.doanehoag.com address redirected to that subfolder, E_Lochrie under the public_html folder. When I publish from Xara it creates the index_html_files folder under that E_Lochrie folder and uploads all the png images in to it, etc. but it doesn't upload the page htm files to the E_Lochrie folder. I guess I'm not following you guys, should I contact my ISP and see why it won't let the page files upload?
    The lochrie.doanehoag.com sub domain has been up for several years now and is well up the list on searches for "Lochrie," etc. so I don't want to change it to something different.

Thanks,

Also, I'm not using the anchor links now because when I do you can't go back up to the top of the page they link to. I changed them so those text links are just to the page itself and not to the anchor points lower in those pages but I would like to get them to work. Has anyone else run into this problem?

but it doesn't upload the page htm files to the E_Lochrie folder
    I don't think this is correct Doane. My Cpanel gives the following info:

A subdomain is a subsection of your website that can exist as a new website without a new domain name. Use subdomains to create memorable URLs for different content areas of your site. For example, you can create a subdomain for your blog that is accessible through blog.example.com and www.example.com/blog
    So either subdomain names should point to your sub-folder via doanehoag.com/E_Lochrie/ or http://lochrie.doanehoag.com. Which ever url you use it points to doanehoag.com/E_Lochrie/ sub-folder, no other. Try deleting the current sub-folder on your server & republish it again. I'm sure the htm files will upload correctly
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The only way Startlogic is set up is where you enter the subdomain name you want in a slot in front of your domain name and then in a second box you enter the folder you want it to point to.

BUT!!!... I think I found out what was wrong. In Xara I had entered public_html/E_Lochrie in the sub folder (optional) slot. I didn't have a "/" on the end of it. I changed it to public_html/E_Lochrie/ and now it seems to be working. Have to go out but will try it again later when I have a chance to confirm.

Thanks everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL subdomains.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	120643  

Egg