Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Responsive design breakpoints

It turns out that you can change the breakpoint. I found this guide on Magix's support site, but it's only accessible once logged in, so I'm reproducing it here in case it helps other users:

• Close Xara (Important! The steps below will not work if Xara is open)
    • Open the registry by pressing the Windows key + R or Start > Run and typing "regedit". Press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following key in the right-hand tree: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\HTMLFilter\7.0\Mul tiWidthBreakpoint
    • Right-click the key in the folder > Modify and change the value there 100 to change the percentage at which it decides which variant to show. Then click OK.
    • Exit the registry by selecting File -> Exit.

This achieves exactly what I needed: each variant only shows is the browser is wide enough to show it, otherwise a smaller variant appears. Why this isn't the default behaviour is beyond me, but at least this fixes it for me!

Agreed, should at least be an accesdible option, not a registry hack.

Quote Originally Posted by sculptex View Post
    Agreed, should at least be an accesdible option, not a registry hack.
    Agreed. I'd already raised a support request about this before I found the information above about the registry hack. I'll update the ticket to request that this feature be made available through the UI, rather than requiring users to edit the registry.

Thank you for this, but I am not sure exactly what it does or what your trying to achieve? Could you explain in detail. I did change it to 100, but what does it accomplish. An example is great!

The problem with Magix/Xara suggesting the change can be made in the Registry is: the Registry is not a thing to be poked at; you have to remember the change as republishing an earlier site with different setting might confuse.

I had a poke around the @media statements and shifted the 720px break-point to 960px (similar I think, to the 100% Registry tweak) [and 719px to 959px] with reasonable success.
    I had intended to write some JavaScript to allow any break-point value but didn't get around to it.

Getting Magix/Xara to include a UI solution will be a miracle.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I agree re Acorns suggestion that it's a forlorn hope to get Xara/Magix to include a UI solution.

Further I would question this quest to get responsive design break points from within Xara. Xara creates adaptive websites, not responsive websites. So if you achieve a break point that makes your site as you designed it to look on your iPhone10 say, it would not do the same on my iPhone5 or other releases between the two. Nor on an of the various iPad's and Android tablets/mobiles. I believe that if you're looking for this then you would be better off using software that creates responsive sites.

It's akin to the problem members run into when viewing their site on a mobile/tablet and changing between portrait & landscape serves up either the mobile or desktop site.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host