Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text size on page variants

I am creating a site that has variants for different screen sizes. I need to set the text size to be different on some variants, but when I change it, it updates across all variants. How can I set different sizes on different variants?

Default Re: Text size on page variants

Take a look at the Text Styles section of the Help file. It's very useful to understand how text styles work in variants before setting up your website as it makes maintaining/updating it in the future so much easier. You might even want to experiment with a dummy site before working on your own site.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Take a look at the Text Styles section of the Help file.
    Thanks mate. So, just to clarify, is it only possible to set different text sizes across variants by defining a style for the text? I can't just select some text and change the size with the text size drop-down, and have that change apply only to the current variant?

All text has a default or named Text Style. When you make changes to the font or font size etc. of a specific piece of text, the program, of course, needs 'to know' if you want these to be applied only to the text you're working on in the current variant (choose 'Update in this variant') or the text in all variants.

Gary,

Also, if you want to only change something on a variant, lets say the "mobile variant", but don't want it to changes to occur on the "main site"...When you select an object in the variant site if it's being shared across all variants, you will see two little lines that look like a diagonal equal sign up in the right hand corner of the selected object or text box. This means any changes you make will happen to all variants. To prevent this and if you only want to make changes, let's just say to the mobile variant, while in the mobile variant site, right click on the object, in your case the text copy, and halfway down the options box that pops up, you'll see Website Variants. Roll mouse and more options open, one named "stop sharing with variants". When you click that, you will see the small diagonal = sign turn off from the object you are wanting to edit. Now it will only change in your variant site and not in the other variants. As I think Boy mentioned however, the downside to this, is then you have to make changes times however many other variants you may have, because the changes will no longer be shared to your other variants. If these are text changes that could become quite a pain and time consuming!

I learned this the hard way the first time I built a mobile variant to a beautiful and very intricate main site...all the mobile changes occurred in the main site, which goofed it up entirely!!!

No, there's no need to stop sharing between variants. Just select some of the text in the mobile variant, say it's the Normal text style, change the size, font, colour etc to whatever you want and then in the style drop down box select "Update 'Normal text' in this variant". Although the font, colour, size etc are completely different between the variants the content changed in one variant will be equally changed in the other variant/s. That is what Boy was stating, no need to stop sharing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	styles-across-variants.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	120767  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host