Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web block countdown counter

Hey Guys

I like the idea of the countdown counter but have 2 issues

the date format YYYY MM DD - why?? and how can I change it to something that some parts of the world actually use?

And when I preview the page the counter works..when I publish it it stops working

Anyone with any wisdom as this is the first time I have used this block

thanks

Default Re: Web block countdown counter

the date format YYYY MM DD - why??
    because when sorting, it is chronological

it also avoids issues like 08/05/2024 is the eighth of may in the UK but the fifith of august in the USA

as for the rest of your query, no idea sorry
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

sort of makes sense, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ularco View Post
    Hey Guys
    I like the idea of the countdown counter but have 2 issues
    the date format YYYY MM DD - why?? and how can I change it to something that some parts of the world actually use?
    And when I preview the page the counter works..when I publish it it stops working
    Anyone with any wisdom as this is the first time I have used this block
    thanks
    Ularco, it's really important to know your Xara product and version and if "block" is a Web Block.

I will take a guess and that it is 10. Countdown (4c) [Web blocks > Counter]
    If so, it will run if you are publishing as part of a Modular Website.

It actually fails here too as Xara did not code properly for Main & Variant (necessary for Modular Websites) as it only call objects with document.getElementById().
    The Date format has Anchors for year, month and day on both Main & Variant so only one will work at any one time. If you change the browser width M<-->V at any time you then have to press F5 to set the timer going.
    Clearly a pants situation.

If you dropped the Web Block into a conventional website then the script is not running and you have to press F5 to update the counter.

Back to the Web Block.
    You can Ctrl+Click onto the shared text line with anchor Names of year, month and day and reposition them, change size font and colour.What you cannot do is change the month to a text value, the code has not been set up for this. So no July 4th 2066.

It is quite complex but Xara needs to use ISO 8601 to meet your (and others') expectations.
    Have a read of https://www.sitepoint.com/build-java...-dependencies/

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat