Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Temporarily Close a Site for Maintenance

The changed page can include an HTML META to force a refresh for everyone.
    @ Acorn: Agree Acorn but how many Xara users know how & why to do this?

@ Miko:
    When I visit a regular site I get an updated version.
    No you don't necessarily, you would normally load a cached version of the site from your local computer from your previous visit. So unless you change the meta info as Acorn suggests the old site will be rendered.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

So, yesterday I needed to add some information to my site. I opened Xara, I then added some information to one page. I saved the site to a local folder. I then uploaded just the changed page to my server. I then opened my web browser and went to my site. I then went to the page that I had updated and low and behold there was the updated page. I would suggest that the OP do just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    So, yesterday I needed to add some information to my site. I opened Xara, I then added some information to one page. I saved the site to a local folder. I then uploaded just the changed page to my server. I then opened my web browser and went to my site. I then went to the page that I had updated and low and behold there was the updated page. I would suggest that the OP do just the same.
    If you are making changing that you know will only affect the page HTM than yes that is possible. Add an image or change an NavBar or repeating object and you are sunk.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Sorry for the interruption but Egg suggested "Shrimps in peanutbutter?" At first I was shocked, now I'm wondering. I gotta try it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    If you are making changing that you know will only affect the page HTM than yes that is possible. Add an image or change an NavBar or repeating object and you are sunk.

Acorn
    The updated page included a PDF file as a link. I also just put the PDF file into the index_htm_files folder without uploading the whole folder which I have done before. No issues experienced. I have another PDF file to add to another page which I shall do in the same way. I still can't believe that Joe Public would be expected to refresh a regularly visited website.

I used to update websites via FTP regularly. When the new files were uploaded, my browser ALWAYS showed the original site. Since it was a regularly visited site it was in my browser cache, and had to be manually refreshed before it updated. I've never consciously noticed a site automatically refresh. Although it does refresh after a time (logically), I ALWAYS had to manually refresh the page to see the latest version immediately.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Yes but remember regular visitors will not be automatically be downloading the latest site, but one from their computers cache. So unless these visitors press Ctrl+F5 they still get the old version. At least that's my understanding ...
    But isn't this always a problem? I maintain a school website and if users don't load the latest version of say the school diary, and the old one is cached, they just see the old information. Trouble is that not many users even know how to refresh and work round the cache.

Philip

That's when .htaccess expire headers come into their own. Something like a diary needs a very short shelf life. So if the diary was a pdf file:
    ExpiresByType application/pdf "access plus 1 day"
    Or place the following on the page head placeholder as suggested by Acorn:

<meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate" />
    <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" />
    <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="0" />
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host