Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Should I upgrade?

Hi All

I'm a steady user of version 12 and I'm being given the option, with a saving, to upgrade to version 15, the question is, should I? Do I really need any of the additional features?

Many thanks

Kind regards

David
    IP

Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by jacobitejake View Post
    Hi All
    I'm a steady user of version 12 and I'm being given the option, with a saving, to upgrade to version 15, the question is, should I? Do I really need any of the additional features?
    Many thanks
    Kind regards David
    David, I probably would. I have reservations about the value that v15 currently has in its current state but it allows you a year's access the the Update Service and you can use either v12, v15 or both with access to the on-line services that without, v12/v15 is crippled.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Thanks Acorn, I currently don't use any of the online services, so my version 12 is working fine, am I missing out on online services, I've never used them
    IP

Thanks Acorn, I currently don't use any of the online services, so my version 12 is working fine, am I missing out on online services, I've never used them
    Te On-line content catalogue? for shape designs, NavBars, buttons, Smart Shapes and site templates. All dust after the Update Service expires.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

The on-line content catalog has clip art, stock photos and illustrations, smart shapes, print as well as web templates, and other things you may or may not need.

If all you use are the features you currently have, then to be honest, I don't see a lot of advantage in upgrading.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The on-line content catalog has clip art, stock photos and illustrations, smart shapes, print as well as web templates, and other things you may or may not need.

If all you use are the features you currently have, then to be honest, I don't see a lot of advantage in upgrading.
    Hi Acorn

What! I'm sure I was led to believe that those components wouldn't disappear after the year, only access to the new things they have added throughout the year. I was told that by purchasing a dvd backup, which I did, I would then have a physical copy of the resources you mention and could easily re install v12 after the year even if I didn't continue with the subscription/update service. So, what you are saying is that I don't actually own a fully working copy of the programme, I'm actually renting it for one year, unless I pay each year of course. Surely this can't be right?!&*?
    IP

Hi Acorn

What! I'm sure I was led to believe that those components wouldn't disappear after the year, only access to the new things they have added throughout the year. I was told that by purchasing a dvd backup, which I did, I would then have a physical copy of the resources you mention and could easily re install v12 after the year even if I didn't continue with the subscription/update service. So, what you are saying is that I don't actually own a fully working copy of the programme, I'm actually renting it for one year, unless I pay each year of course. Surely this can't be right?!&*?
    Having the DVD does make a difference. When the Update service expires you will have to trawl through all the content manually as Xara has removed the application's Find capability. Also the Xara Slideshow Viewer relies on the Xara on-line services, so that will go. Possibly too all the Xara Widgets that link through the Xara servers. If you have to reinstall, you revert back to what you bought and lose all (sorry, a small chuckle here) the bug fixes that were publish in the year. I have been expressing my disquiet in the forum and have yet to find a definitive response back from Xara.

Acorn
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Having the DVD does make a difference. When the Update service expires you will have to trawl through all the content manually as Xara has removed the application's Find capability. Also the Xara Slideshow Viewer relies on the Xara on-line services, so that will go. Possibly too all the Xara Widgets that link through the Xara servers. If you have to reinstall, you revert back to what you bought and lose all (sorry, a small chuckle here) the bug fixes that were publish in the year. I have been expressing my disquiet in the forum and have yet to find a definitive response back from Xara.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn, I was sure I was told when the move to the update service happened, that any bug fixes would still be applied to a reinstall without paying for another year, only the additions/improvements to the programme would be missing. Blimey, no wonder you're having a small chuckle, if they don't provide the bug fixes to the reinstall then the purchase of Web Designer is indeed just a subscription, very, VERY sad
    IP