Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Saving to Cloud

Default Saving to Cloud

Hi,
    Having just had to completely rebuild one of my web sites as my laptop was stolen I'm making sure that I save it to Cloud.
    Just checking that all I need to save is what the program saves - there's no hidden image files anywhere else or anything?
    Thanks again

Default Re: Saving to Cloud

No, there isn't but you also need to make sure that you save your .web file to the Cloud.

No, there isn't but you also need to make sure that you save your .web file to the Cloud.
    Or .xar file for Designer Pro or Photo & Graphic Designer.

Thank you, how do I find the .web file, please?

With Xara open, when you save your site save it to Dropbox (or similar). This will save the web file to the cloud.

.web & .xar are Xara's default file-types.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

To be sure all this is clear: the .web file is your work file with which you can edit your website in Xara Web Designer. The output files (such as the .htm files) when you publish your site are the ones that are used by the internet browsers on viewers' cell phones, tablets, desktop computers etc. These output files, as you have discovered the hard way, cannot be directly edited in Web Designer but certain elements (such as text and images) can be imported to reconstruct a website.

I back up to a external drive but if your computer gets stolen, they will probably take the back up drive as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I back up to a external drive but if your computer gets stolen, they will probably take the back up drive as well.

That's exactly what Paddythewriter said happened to him!

I have used Google DRIVE (GOOGLE BACKUP & SYNC) since it was a crafty hack of Gmail.
    Now its a mature product that will mirror any drive or folder on your desktop, and syncronise with your home PC and laptop.
    for most users the FREE package bolted to your Gmail account is all you will ever need, however, new price plans and a new name announced yesterday has a plan that's right for you.

Point to note for Xara Users, Turn off desktop synchronisation in the taskbar (right click Google Backup & Sync) or Xara will throw up an error message saying the file is in use and cannot save. Terrifying LOL
    When you finished a session Resume synchronisation and your newly modified Xara file is safe at home - on your laptop - and safe in the cloud.

Also makes sharing websites for clients to update their sites using XARA CLOUD a breeze.

Google 1 - more here: https://www.blog.google/products/goo...re-out-google/