Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What existing features and tools would you want updated?

I have been a loyal Xara user since 1995. And I use Designer Pro X for about 99% of all the work I do, both print and web.

But one of my pet peeves is what I call "orphaned features". Tools and features that once introduced with great fanfare languish and are largely forgotten.

I'm sure most users can think of one or two or more features and tools that could be updated and/or improved.

So I am starting this thread to see what tools and features you would like to see addressed. I will add a few of my additions in the next post and I invite all users of all products to do the same.

Please be polite, and please list the product you are referring to.
    IP

Default Re: What existing features and tools would you want updated?

Recently Designer Pro X got support for Open Type Features and Style Sets. But the interface is less than intuitive. What is needed is a menu that displays the options available and maybe even applies these in real time so the user can decide that works and what does not.

The color palette many years ago was greatly simplified. The idea as it was explained to me by Xara was to create a palette of primary colors that the user can modify using the Color Editor. But for me, the colors do not really represent a spectrum of colors and is too limited. I would like to see a more complete color menu, probably floating or perhaps a pop up for each of the primary colors showing a variety of shades and values. Maybe an adjustable color line that could change to Pantone Spot Colors and CMYK colors.

Several years ago, FX was added to the Photo Tool which provided access to many photo tools and filters.

But many of the effects for example Unsharp Mask, start applying a setting immediately after you enter an amount or move a slider. On a large image this can take some time for the effect to be applied. A simple Apply button that would permit the user to enter several edits at one time, for example with Unsharp Mask, a threshold and a radius setting can be entered and then both settings applied at the same time.

The introduction of Web Animation was terrific. But the interface is clunky and limited. The timing settings are not always intuitive and don't always produce the result one expects.

Also the limit of 8 seconds is too short. A user entered time would be very helpful. With the addition of this, a user could create a very sophisticated slide show using a variety of reveals.

Also a reverse reveal has been suggested and requested for many versions. So that photo and text that slides in from the left, can pause for 3 seconds and the slide out to the right.
    IP

Looks like the "cat is out of the hat" Gary !!!

But... people used to always want improvement, evolution of the Mold Tool, that would be cool.

I for one wanted some more development of the Shape Painter Tool, different types of nibs and other things.

adios
    sunland
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

+1 for all the above plus the art brushes were left half done and the bitmap tracer is way overdue for an update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

I'm dreaming about adding a live mirror option to xara, as it is now done in Corel 2018, it would be even better to use brushes at least at the level of those with photoshop.
    The sad summary is that xara without developing and adding options present in other programs will cease to be attractive and thus will be lost in oblivion ... There will remain only sentimental users who mention the wonderful past ...
    IP

Simon - and others. Please do not use this thread to suggest NEW features. I want this thread to specifically focus on existing features that have been forgotten or never fully implemented.
    IP

ok sorry
    IP

Hi Garry,
    +1 for all You sugest and all the features Xara promise us the last five years and never has complied.

From Bavaria – Servus Ernie
    IP

I too would like to see the bitmap tracer updated - and hopefully working ...
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Posted in another thread in Dear Xara, as yet unresolved and unloved by those who should be in a position to repond,
    I repost it here because of its relevance...

"When using either the Bevel or 3D Tools, the result contains raster elements, as shown in the attached graphic.

The area concerned in this instance, is where the yellow section meets the brown area.
    The whole brown area appears to be raster rather than vector.
    I think this glitch has been posted before, possibly even by myself.
    But in case it is my faulty memory and hasn't been requested before, could this pleased be addressed?"

Illustrator's 3D and Bevel Tool produce vector 3D files, but Affinity Designer and Xara Designer Pro do not.
    I am only guessing, but Corel Draw would, but I don't have it installed at present.

Bitmap output of 3D artwork belongs in the Stone Age. If Magix/Xara want to be a major player in the Design World they should update and improve their 3D and Bevel tools accordingly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bevel & 3D anomaly.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	120580  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP