Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Photo Naming

Default Photo Naming

When naming a photo using ‘Names’ in WD what format should be used. Should you use inverted comma’s and should you use hyphens or underscores.

filename=“The-Picture-Name”
    filename=“The_Picture_Name”
    filename=The-Picture-Name
    filename=The_Picture_Name

Thanks.

Default Re: Photo Naming

I would use the third on with the dashes between the words. They all work but the quotes are not necessary and add an extra set of characters to replace the " marks. ā€œThe_Picture_Nameā€¯

As Gary states use the hyphen(-) not the underscore(_) as Google see's the hyphen as word separator but the underscore as a word joiner thus:

Google see's giant_oak_tree as giantoaktree which most people wouldn't use as a term in a search engine, although it's pretty good and readjusting the search.

But Google see's giant-oak-tree as giant oak tree and a search for this term is generally what most folks would use.

Same goes for filenames, use the hyphen, not the underscore.

A final word of warning, don't use filename= for images on variant sites. Xara messes up the resolution of the images.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

A final word of warning, don't use filename= for images on variant sites. Xara messes up the resolution of the images.
    Sigh, another forgotten feature. So best to stop sharing between variants before naming your images.

Egg - What happens with the variant if you name the images separately?

Basically when you allow Xara to create the numbered image files it creates an image for the desktop version & a smaller one for the mobile version. Unfortunately using filename= uses the same image for both variants and strangely enough Xara will create large or small named images on each subsequent preview.

Yes you can stop the sharing and rename the variant one with a new filename but this can become a drag.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for all your help and advise.

Gary, what do you mean by - add an extra set of characters to replace the " marks. ā€œThe_Picture_Nameā€¯

If I don’t share my pics on my desktop site with my mobile site am I right in saying it is ok to name the image files on the mobile site?

One more question, when I name a pic and then use Web Properties - Image - Pop Up Photo, the large image displayed has a different name, which is a number, is there anyway of naming this pic as well.

Thanks.

Ian.

Sorry,

One more question,

What other uses has the ‘names’ feature of WD other than what we have said above as I can’t find any documentation on it anywhere?