Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HAD MY LAPTOP STOLEN

Hi,
    Some nice person has stolen my laptop which had my two web sites on it.
    All I have now are my hmtl files on my server (Godaddy) but not the original Xsara files.
    Is there any way that I can download the hmtl files to work on them in Xsara?
    I did have the web sites backed up on USB sticks but they stole those as well, next time I'll use Cloud for backing up.
    Any suggestions anyone?
    Thanks
    Paddy

Default Re: HAD MY LAPTOP STOLEN

Sorry to hear about your ill fortune, Paddy.

In Xara you cannot work with html files but what you can do is import the elements of your site and reconstruct the pages and, next, the site's navigation bar. Go to: File/Import from Web address... and enter the URL. Good luck!

Yeah, that's a bummer.

To add to Bob's advice. Xara (no s) can import the contents of a page and place the visible objects on the MouseOff layer. You will need to rebuild the navigation bar and recreate any objects that are on any layers other than the MouseOff layer. Also you can only do one page at a time.

But still and all it is a few steps better than having to rebuild the site entirely from scratch.

As Gary says, bummer! We all forget to back-up.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Well yeah, but if your back up is on the computer that was stolen?

That said, the price of back up external drives has really fallen. I purchased a SS 4TB drive for a bit of change over $100 US. It's about the size of a deck of cards.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

That said, the price of back up external drives has really fallen. I purchased a SS 4TB drive for a bit of change over $100 US. It's about the size of a deck of cards.
    Really ... In Ontario, you couldn't get a 4TB conventional HDD for that! A decent 256GB SSD is about C$130.00
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I'm so sorry to hear that, paddythewriter!

I use a flip drive to back up like you do, but I also use Carbonite which is an online or cloud backup "service". There is an annual fee, but, FOR ME, I found it totally necessary due to all the things that can happen to my files/computer/my own stupid mistakes.

Hang in there, buddy.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

Wow! It would cost €1,000 - €2,000 here
    Can I ask where you got it and what model? It would be worth using a re-ship company to get one to here

If you are using Windows 10 you have the cloud available to backup important files. Plus, my suggestion for a web site is to put a copy of the .xar file on the web site.
    Also for future reference "Lojack for windows", it will find your laptop.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    If you are using Windows 10 you have the cloud available to backup important files. Plus, my suggestion for a web site is to put a copy of the .xar file on the web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    Also for future reference "Lojack for windows", it will find your laptop.
    I can see the attractive but not all the reviews are favourable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoJack_for_Laptops. There could be a long wait for a physical recovery as well.

If you have W10 Professional, use BitLocker so your sensitive files are encrypted.

My preferred Cloud option is Dropbox as I have backups on my my PC through Xara, the design file directly to the Dropbox folder so I have backups through the Cloud and finally cloned back to all other devices sharing the Dropbox folder.
    Uploading the design file to your website works but it is then on the Web and unless you are strict, updating it is a chore.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat