Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poppydog - HTML Password Protect - Login area question

Hi all,
    Thanks to some lovely people on here I went and bought Poppydog.com's 'HTML Password Protect' la. The site seems to be down and I can't access their support so I was hoping it was ok to ask something here.
    I've made a test site (most links don't work) at www.oldedin.com. If you click Old Edinburgh on the home page it takes you to the poppydog login page. The password is 'test'. Ideally I'd like this form to be in a 'box' on a page, but I can't work out how to do this. I tried to make an iFrame with the 'login' bit in a box but when I do this I just get a linked version of the first page unlocked after you login.
    Any help here would be gratefully appreciated!
    Yours,
    Robert
    Last edited by forresthowie; 04 April 2018 at 10:29 PM. Reason: password

Default Re: Poppydog - HTML Password Protect - Login area question

When I click that link I get the password box as one would expect but also the attached warning.

This also happens with Xara.Hosting password protection and which is something that should be addressed.

What this error means is if I enter my password, the connection is not secure and a hacker could see my password and use it for dishonest actions.

In addition to asking this company your question, I would ask why this is not secure and if they are not forthcoming ask for a refund and find a solution that has a secure password.

Here's a link I found that reviews these solutions though I am not sure if any of these offer a secure connection. https://mashable.com/2008/05/03/5-fr.../#UR0kZk49Mgqu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Password  not secure.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	120531  

Hi there,
    Thanks for this. Is this simply an issue with poppydogs side of things do you think? Their page brought up an error on my chrome browser.
    Unfortunately I bought this a year ago but just haven’t gotten to the stage where I can use it. Hi wish Sara had this natively - incomedia x5 did and I just want to have a section of this site available only to people who have already bought my product. I’d be giving them the password so it wouldn’t be one they made up and possibly used other times. Is that going to be an issue?
    Apologies for the questions.

No need to apologize. This is why this fourm is here.

I did a Google search for Password Protect Page for TalkGraphics and here is the link https://www.google.com/search?client....0.be_yrRnCVys

I would start with some of the more recent threads.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    No need to apologize. This is why this fourm is here.

I did a Google search for Password Protect Page for TalkGraphics and here is the link https://www.google.com/search?client....0.be_yrRnCVys

I would start with some of the more recent threads.

Typically I did search - but ended up down a dead-end. Thanks muchly for all the help with this, I really appreciate it.

I checked with CoffeeCup Software who used to offer a product called Website Access Manager but they got back just now and said they no longer sell or support. There is the .htaccess file route and some of the responses in the link I posted offer scripts for this, but the result is not very elegant and I think only works with certain servers.

Acorn or Egg, any suggestions here?

Lightbulb Re: Poppydog - HTML Password Protect - Login area question

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I checked with CoffeeCup Software who used to offer a product called Website Access Manager but they got back just now and said they no longer sell or support. There is the .htaccess file route and some of the responses in the link I posted offer scripts for this, but the result is not very elegant and I think only works with certain servers.
    Acorn or Egg, any suggestions here?
    I would search "secure login system php".
    There is no simple fix.

This describes the basics: https://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Sec...-PHP-and-MySQL.
    Compare with https://www.sitepoint.com/users-php-sessions-mysql/ and see the differences.

If you understand what's what then you might manage to produce something safe enough.

Another approach is to get your member to sign in to Google or Facebook and harness their authentication mechanisms.

Buy something like https://encodable.com/userbase/#instructions but only after trialling with Xara.
    You will have PHP and MySQL setups and maintenance and no of this comes for free.

I am not endorsing any of the above, just showing how complex it has to be.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Cheers all,
    I also contacted Coffee Cup and they sent me a download link to Website Access Manager. Hope it's ok to ask yet another question - Gary, do you still use it? is it still 'usable' even if it isn't sold anymore?

Gary, do you still use it? is it still 'usable' even if it isn't sold anymore?
    I used it many years ago and have not used it since.

As I remember the process is you publish your site, then you open Website Access Manager and list the page or pages you wish to protect.

Try this. Create a small test site. Then see if you can password protect the site or a single page.

If this works then you are in business.

I think if you search for Website Access Manager tutorials you may find some better instructions.

If you have cpanel access with your hosting package, it should have a password protect folders option.

Then you publish all your protected content to a protected subfolder.

This method means same password is shared by all users, not sure if that's what you want?

I would recommend protecting your site with SSL certificate since you are entering passwords, most decent hosting has free LetsEncrypt SSL certificates nowadays. Again, look in your cpanel for this.