Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Removing .html from URL in WD

Would anyone know the best way to remove .html from my pages in WD so it doesn’t show in the URL.

I have found a way of doing this by instead of using ‘Link to:’ and then selecting another page, use ‘Link to Web or Email address:’ and entering the other page without the .html. Then edit the sitemap.xml file and remove .html from there as well.

This works but the problem with this method is apparently it is not good for SEO as instead of it being an internal link, it is now classed as an external link.

Thanks.

Default Re: Removing .html from URL in WD

I am not sure why you want to do this.

If you name your home page index (this is the default) browsers find your page without the need for .htm or .html http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/no-problemo/

Individual page names will have .htm or .html appended to the name of the page. I am not aware of a way not to have this happen.

Hi,

This is what nibbler.silktide says about my website:-

Avoid use of file extensions wherever possible. File extensions appear at the end of web addresses, and have several negative effects. They make the address harder to remember or type (particularly for non-technical users), and can reveal the underlying technology of the website making it very slightly more vulnerable to hackers. They also tie the implementation of the website to a specific technology, which can make subsequent migration of URLs difficult. Consider URL rewriting as an effective and transparent means of creating appropriate URLs.

Yes my homepage is fine but my other pages display .html, the above site suggests it is best not to.

OK the site you referenced is http://nibbler.silktide.com/en_US Maybe one of the members will have a suggestion for how to add the code to your page/site.

Not seen that nibbler site before, it might be quite useful.

I think you will end up causing more problems trying to avoid having extensions. Every time the site is published you would need to make changes, this alone far outweighs the proposed benefit of doing it.
    2 reasons it gives for removing them are not very valid;
    1) memorable URLs. Unless you will expect to be giving links to individual pages that are not easily accessible from the front page, just give the main URL. If you want memorable URL pages, other techniques can be used and also for future page redirection.
    2) reveals technology making more vulnerable to hackers - on the contrary, unlike scripted sites that are targetted for known vulnerabilities (such as WordPress for example), the HTML files generated by xara would put off potential hackers as there is no script to hack!

This crops up frequently.

I have yet to have a punter come back and exclaim, "Wow, my SEO metrics are way better!".

https://alexcican.com/post/how-to-re...with-htaccess/

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    This crops up frequently.

I have yet to have a punter come back and exclaim, "Wow, my SEO metrics are way better!".

https://alexcican.com/post/how-to-re...with-htaccess/

Acorn
    This risks upsetting google having the pages redirect, you'd still have to change the sitemap each time it gets generated. Seriously not worth it! Also not all servers use htaccess.

Quote Originally Posted by sculptex View Post
    This risks upsetting google having the pages redirect, you'd still have to change the sitemap each time it gets generated. Seriously not worth it! Also not all servers use htaccess.
    I agre, I am not a fan but the Customer Knows Best.

By putting up information, the requester then begins to see the technical complexities of changing and maintaining...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.
    - probably best to leave as it is.