Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: Scribble April 3, 2018

Now Handrawn is effectively saying if you don't play by the unstated rules - go away - you aren't welcome to participate. Apparently the only way you learn the rules is by inadvertently breaking the secret rules and be chastised for it. Not a very inclusive approach to what is supposed to be fun.

Please realize that in this forum, to which new members join everyday, there are people who will participate in such a challenge thread without knowing that apparently several years ago some rules were established. Do you really just want this to be insider's club where only people who know a set of unwritten rules are welcome and those who unwittingly take a step inside are driven out by the rules enforcers?

Grow up and please write down the rules the next time you start one of these challenges.

Ross - I never said go away.. I just made a suggestion [as you did]

i don't think any one else in the whole time this challenge has been up has ever objected to the rules, once they knew what they were... Larry/Rik will correct me if I'm wrong..

[EDIT and when I said 'but it's not your thread' all I meant was it's for the OP to define the topic... right?]

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    and when I said 'but it's not your thread' all I meant was it's for the OP to define the topic... right?
    The thread had no stated rules. The OP did not define the topic nor have OP's done so in dozens of past scribble challenge threads. I generally understood that the idea was to create a graphic using the provided scribble - and that's what I did and shared the result. My design used only the one line provided and was generated from it. The "rules" were raised and I noted there are no rules. I know some are likely thinking "ahh but they do exist" but those rely on insider knowledge not available to new posters. Some seem to think it is fair game to enforce those rules. I say it isn't and am insulted by the enforcement efforts. In this thread I don't feel my participation was welcome -- but as a former moderator I know all participation should be welcomed and encouraged.

If you want rules to be followed - state your rules upfront in a clear straightforward manner. Be fair and transparent and stop with the insider's club.

I just recently returned to TalkGraphics after a long hiatus. I hoped to again share community with other graphics enthusiasts. I didn't come back to be a trouble maker or challenge authority. I'm not an anarchist. I'm just surprised by an effort to enforce rules that aren't stated and stepping back in like a new member I see how unwelcoming that practice is. If rules for next month's scribble challenge are stated I will follow them should I choose to participate.

oh for heaven's sake... for your information I too am a former moderator.... and Larry and Rik still are.... and no-one is saying you are unwelcome.....

ok here is a scribble:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scribble april 18.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	120693

Ross: The first two replies to your post were from me.

I don't think there was anything disrespectful of unwelcoming.
    I merely said that I couldn't see the whole scribble in your great drawing/entry.

From there on, you've decided that you are being made to feel unwelcome etc...

It's Larry (wizard509) who posts the Scribbles and I'm sure he will take note of your comments.
    Up till now, we've not really had any problems with all the members who take part in this very interesting challenge, every month.
    However, if Larry needs to make any additional comments when he posts his scribble, then I'm sure he will look at that.

For now, I would rather we stop all this back and forth, and just accept the fact that in the scribble challenge, we use the whole scribble.

No-one is trying to make you feel unwelcome. In fact me and Larry (I'm sure I can speak for Larry as well) are very happy to have a new/returning member taking part.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Okay let's move on...

Yes, please can we do so. That was all so unnecessary and no way to treat a new returned / old contributor.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Larry, trying to be positive, would it not be simple to add the challenge shape to a standard template page which not only includes the challenge shape but the 'rules' thus:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg, I'll work on it. Sounds like a good idea.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

nice one handrawn.

@ Ross.
    Please do not feel unwelcome because you most certainly are welcome. I find it most illuminating that like me you are a/or were a delineator., I should like to talk to you about it sometime.

As for me I started as a designer at General Printing and Paper Co. in Topeka, KS. from there I went to Kansas City where I got my start as a delineator, moved to Worthington Assoc, also as a painter then to Gill Line Studio then back to Scheffer Studio, from there I moved to Dallas Tx and worked for Prelim for several years where I became 2nd in command, they sent me and my wife to Albuquerque NM to scout out the place and see if I wanted to start a branch office, which I chiser not to do, then I was sent to Tulsa OK to take over a failing office, I put my heart and sole into that but there was not enough business so I quit and went into business for my self. Then a head hunter at Hospital Building and Equipment started pestering me to come to St Louis and work for them which I finally did and worked there for many years. That is until I had a brain hemorrhage which almost did me in, in fact I was in ICU for many weeks and have been in and out of therapy ever since, the pastor of our church told the congregation it didn't look like I was going to make it, but, that was a long time ago.Thus ended the career of this former delineator. Now I'm getting old and my eyesight is horrible and my hands shake. Interesting enough I dream about painting.Weird huh.

Any how take care Ross and don't feel like you are not wanted here because you are. Also don't feel like you are a trouble maker because you are not. Sure we may have differences of opinion now and then, so what, we'll get over it.

My son was made in Dallas, born in Tulsa and was raised here and has lived here most of his life.

Well that is my story such as it is.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.