Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb How to Change File>Export>Save as type order

When you want to export a file from Xara Designer to some other format, such as SVG or EPS, you click the Files of Type drop-down list and are presented with a mountain of file formats. The order in which the file types are listed are a thorny problem for me; 99% of the time, I need to export to Illustrator format, and this type is tucked somewhere hard to find quickly.

Fortunately, TG Moderator and Xara genius Acorn told me how to edit a file and make the list custom-tailored to my personal needs.

Here goes:

Locate your Xara folder. It should be wherever you installed it (usually C). Open the folder and find FileFormats.xml. It’s in the root, not in a subfolder or anything. See Fig. 1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.gif 
Views:	91 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	120499

Don’t do anything yet! If you can’t find Notepad, especially in Win 10 that displays a lot of new stuff, but puts old favorites in a closer, find Notepad.exe; it’s in the root of Windows/System32. Now, launch it.

You can either drag the FileFormats.xml into the Notepad window, or if you’re feeling masochistic, Choose File>Open in Notepad, and then locate FileFormats.xml and open it.

You’ll see some lines that begin with <Format Id="14" Name="Xara Designer Pro (*.xar)"/>; following this line are the other file formats with which you can export to different formats. See figure 2.

Name:	02.gif 
Views:	103 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	120500

Carefully, and I cannot emphasize CAREFULLY too much—because you CAN screw up this file, and then Xara will scream at you the next time you open it— let’s assume you want the Adobe Illustrator export to be available right after Xara’s native file format.

Highlight the <Format Id="5" Name="Adobe Illustrator (*.ai;*.eps)"/> line in its entirety. Take a deep breath and then cut it (Ctrl+X), and for God’s sake don’t put anything else on the Clipboard right now.

Insert the text cursor at the end of the (*.xar)"/> | <right there after the greater than character.

Press Enter (or Return), and you’ll see that there is a new empty line after the Xara line.

Put the cursor at the front of that blank line and then press Ctrl+V to paste the Illustrator line into this space.
    Your file should look a little like mine does here in Figure 3, depending on your preferences of export order. Make sure there are no spaces between lines and that the beginning of the line aligns with all the other text lines. It's not a deal-breaker, but "tidy code" lets you and others do editing in the future with some assurance you know what is what, and know what you're doing.

Name:	03.gif 
Views:	100 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	120501

Now: choose File > Save as, and then use the same extension (NOT *.txt) to save FileFormats.xml. If you feel a little squeamish about over-writing a native file, save this edited file to a location on your hard drive, and then copy the original out and name it ORIGFileFormats.xml or something similarly clever. Then copy and paste your edited file right next to the original file.

Launch XDP, create a simple shape just to test your new export order, and then press Ctrl+Shift+E. Drop that Files of Type drop-down down, and check out your new super-charged export list. See Figure 4.

Name:	04.gif 
Views:	86 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	120502

Thanks again to Acorn for this exceptionally valuable procedure! And if you want to impress on looking friends as you work, just tell them casually, “Oh, I just hacked the file. No big deal.”

Last edited by Gare; 01 April 2018 at 01:19 PM.

Default Changing Xara's Export>Type of File order

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    ...TG Moderator and Xara genius Acorn told me how to edit a file and make the list custom-tailored to my personal needs...
    Gare, the only genius I have is a squirrel mine (know thy enemy) as I remembered a TG sage had solved this once before.
    I started advising about it in 2014.

In 2016, you asked the same question (https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ion-12-exports). I suggested it was Steve Ledger and then found mwenz mentioned it back in 2012 (https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...filter-choices). As I only joined TG then I doubt i can claim first mention.

It goes back further if any would like to rediscover...

Acorn
    Last edited by Gare; 01 April 2018 at 01:18 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: A Bouton Tutorial on changing Export order ❤

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for setting me straight on the mysterious explorer who figured out how to open up this feature.

Mike, Steve: I'm just a story-teller, and often it is not my story that I tell.

I don't suggest the credit for this is mine.

I ust want to share it.

And I've been doing numbered tutorials all my life.

My Best,

Gary

I cannot remember when/where I read that tip. I think it was Phil, but isn't memory the, the, the...

Actually it was me who came up with this solution!

Well, not really. But I just had my 2 seconds of TG fame!

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Oh Boy, I'm Spartacus,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Dear Xarists—

The elephant in the room is the result of knowing how to do it.

Who discovered it?

I don't know. I also don't know who harnessed electricity, but it doesn't keep me up at night unless I didn't pay the bill.

-g

Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post

Naughty Boy

Stygg