Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fontbase ~ a free Font Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I love Nexusfont. The ONLY downside is having to wait while it loads 11,000 fonts.

I've tried FONTBASE twice now, and uninstalled it twice. Don't like it at all - Not can't use it, it's quite useable, just don't like it.
    True: NexusFont takes longer than one would wish for installed fonts to be enumerated. I don't have that problem, though, because by default, I don't ask for Installed fonts to be displayed. I've got it to launch and load 45 typefaces right now that I'm evaluating by comparison for a gig. If this is any gauge, 45 typefaces took about 18 seconds to load, about 3 per second, which must be painfully slow for all your 11,000 fonts, Mr. Almond! That is an exaggerated number, I hope!

oOg, what I like most about it, is once you're loaded (or the program is loaded), you have a number of options right where one might expect them: install/uninstall, properties/charmap when you right-click over a font sample, color font size, preview sentence easy to get to.

Not sure what FontBase's features are anymore, but the deal-breaker was that it appears full-screen at my pathetic 1280 × 1024 screen resolution. Getting to my Desktop was a hassle; Mr. FontBase uninstalled.

Except for being able to duck out of Xara and install fonts, OoG, NexusFont doesn't interact with Xara at all. Most font managers I've used in the past do not work in tandem with an application.

Name:  typewriter-sig.gif
Views: 328
Size:  12.7 KB

OoOoOg :)

Gary,

No 11,000 is not an exaggeration ... I typically only use a Font Manager to find a particular font so that I can install it. My installed fonts are easily managed within Xara, as typically all I need to know is what a desired font looks like. So Nexus font is for combing through my NON-INSTALLED font collection.

In Windows 10 something happened to the font caching in the Anniversary update. To speed Nexusfont up substantially, you have to disable the Windows Font Cache Service ... Google the instructions how to do it. Apparently you will have to disable it with every major windows update.

The easiest/quickest way to get to the desktop in windows 10, is to right click the windows icon at the lower left, and choose desktop from the bottom of the list.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Gary,

No 11,000 is not an exaggeration ... I typically only use a Font Manager to find a particular font so that I can install it. My installed fonts are easily managed within Xara, as typically all I need to know is what a desired font looks like. So Nexus font is for combing through my NON-INSTALLED font collection.

In Windows 10 something happened to the font caching in the Anniversary update. To speed Nexusfont up substantially, you have to disable the Windows Font Cache Service ... Google the instructions how to do it. Apparently you will have to disable it with every major windows update.

The easiest/quickest way to get to the desktop in windows 10, is to right click the windows icon at the lower left, and choose desktop from the bottom of the list.
    Excellent advice on the disabling the Font cache. I needed to do that for a different reason: I had a bum font, and Xara kept crashing when my cursor came close to the font name on the drop-down list: go figure.

I'm afraid getting to the Windows icon is problematic for me. I've almost always put the taskbar to the left, vertically on my screen. :( No joy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vertical stack.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	120666

Typographically,

Gare

Info Re: Fontbase ~ a free Font Manager

Alternatives:

Keyboard: Windows+M; Windows+Shift+M to restore
    Mouse: Taskbar far right, click to toggle
    Mouse: holder down the top part of a small window and shake it to hide everything else; repeat to restore
    Mouse: Right-click Taskbar then pick Show the desktop.

Almost as many options as Xara has for everything (except updates).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

And Keyboard: Windows key +D to toggle both ways ...
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.