Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tracing a drawing from a previous Layer.

I am a new user who previously used Microsoft PhotoDraw until it was discontinued. I apologize, but this is a terribly NOOB question.

I have a drawing on Layer 1 which I'd like to trace. I add Layer 2, but can't find a way to make it transparent so I can see and trace Layer 1 below it.

What am I missing?

Default Re: Tracing a drawing from a previous Layer.

A new layer is by default transparent because there are not yet any objects in it. So, create your new layer, lock layer 1 to prevent any accidental movements or changes, select your drawing tool and start tracing. Or did I miss something in your post?

Make sure your new layer is on the same page as your drawing.

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Duh! I was creating a new PAGE, not a new LAYER . . . .

Problem solved.

Glad we could help. Welcome to TalkGraphics

Info Re: Tracing a drawing from a previous Layer.

Why use a Layer when you can Lock the Shape and trace over it?
    Also if tracing ensure the final trace shape is partially transparent so you can see and correct errors.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Not sure why others might do this but when I do it, I want the subject I am tracing to be ghosted back so I can see the results of my tracing better.

I usually just lock the shape but (generally) use a magenta line during the trace. Once in a while I'll knock back the opacity of the image, but generally just trace right on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Also if tracing ensure the final trace shape is partially transparent so you can see and correct errors.

Acorn
    if you want to be able to manipulate all your tracings without grouping anything - eg hide/show all in one go - you really need tham all on their own layer - eg line art from pencil scans

I can think of a few other [non-web] reasons too relating to colouration techniques

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you want to be able to manipulate all your tracings without grouping anything - eg hide/show all in one go - you really need tham all on their own layer - eg line art from pencil scans
    I can think of a few other [non-web] reasons too relating to colouration techniques
    Not objections, but moving to a different layer when done or starting there is by-the-by.
    I had imagined the shape being traced was ephemeral.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat