Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Creating a 3D image from imported PNG with transparent background

A bitmap trace using Vector Magic.
    3D text effect in Affinity Designer.
    Extruded effect in Xara365.

To speed up the separate processes, it should be possible to save the settings for each individual graphics program.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold text AD & XDP.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	120421  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Here's an animated gif:
    thanks for that egg, not got that program on my system any more - TG seems to have converted your gif to image?

I like those too Bob... given the texture is on the face only - ie 'flat'

interesting the way you 'scalloped' it out though

Yes HD, the gif is uploaded then the server turns it into a jpg! I've altered the post now to link to a web address with the animation.

Good method too Bob, although the vector magic step seems to flatten the texture somewhat.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

First let me say thank you again to all who have contributed to this effort and to my furthered education (which is severly lacking).

Egg Bramhill I like the end result your efforts and tried to follow the steps you outlined for me, but apparently my old (and I do mean old) version of PS apparently does not have the option to covert the text to an editable shape. Let me ask...does the result of saving my text as an alpha PNG not effectively make it a shape and not a text file anyway?

I would go ahead and buy the Xara3D 7 if I knew I could get this to work. It is a very affordable program. However, what advantages does it have over my current program (Photo & Graphics Designer)?

now I see the animation that is cool Egg... if you want to screw in screws, use a screwdriver...

@myx'ra - - it is still a rectangle pixel matrix, not a shape, alpha just makes some image pixels in that rectangle transparent - once you commit text in PS it is no longer a vector

No advantages except spinning logo creation, which is somewhat passé these days. Plenty of things that P&GD can do that Xara3D 7 cannot.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

as a by-product of the spin function you can map the texture to the text and rotate it in '3D' - which you have to do manually in designer - also the lights work better, Egg did a good job on making the sides of the text look in keeping with the faces

I can't remember the export options other than PNG and GIF - if you just want an image then it would be fine for this job, but as Bob says, it's a one-trick pony - however you can often use something the way it was intended to be used, but for a different purpose..

Hi myX'ra, I'm not suggesting creating shapes in PS but in Xara. I've made a video to run you through the procedures required.

Apart from your very specific texture that follows the text it is possible to do the whole thing in Xara. However you require to use the texture flowing within the text as created within PS so it would be easier to create using this method in Xara 3D 7.

... except spinning logo creation, which is somewhat passé these days. Plenty of things that P&GD can do that Xara3D 7 cannot.
    Passé I agree with Bob, but this was about creating a 3D still. I wouldn't agree that P&GD can do that Xara3D 7 cannot. The OP's requirements would be far more difficult to recreate in Xara Designer (or P&GD) alone

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I know it may seem a bit melodramatic but I am honestly humbled by all the help, thought and effort you all have afforded me. I will purchase Xara 3D 7 for the purposes of being able to map the texture to the text as Handrawn said. That has been a continual source of aggravation that I could not apply texture to the sides with ease. Also, Iamtheblues - I am glad to know that my current program offers benefits separate from 3D 7. I have often wondered since I got the program whether I'd have been better off with the 3D 7. Since then, I've grown to enjoy P&GD very much!

Egg, it will probably not be until Monday before I can do anything with your video, but I am SO grateful for a walkthrough - you just have no idea! I have NO doubt I'll need it with a new program.

Hope you all have a great Palm Sunday weekend.