Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Creating a 3D image from imported PNG with transparent background

I tried several ways of exporting from Photoshop and none work when importing into Xara.

Maybe MWENZ can suggest something.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 23 March 2018 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Maybe Mike Wenzloff can suggest something.
    I will contact him...you said it can be done but it isn't very well developed. How does one go about trying this under-developed option, if I may ask?

there is a fundemental problem here, whichever way you look at it the gold effect you actually want [as opposed to a monochrome 'gold'] is a bitmap texture - sure you can make a monochrome vector of the text, but when you convert that to 3D in xara designer you are going to want to manipulate that in 3D [or there is not much point in doing it] and the texture will not automatically follow the 3D shape in xara designer - it might if you use xara 3D program, depends what you actually want to end up with

tracing the gold effect itself is one option [photographic trace] but it is 'untidy' due to the number of shapes and slow to work with, but here's an example:

goldtext test.xar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-03-23 09_04_52-Xara Designer Pro X - [goldtext test].jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	120414

no time to try to clean it up, as you can see, for example by the way the extrusion spreads out - if you were to go this way an inkscape colour trace might be better because it has fewer shapes, but to be honest, if you are going to make a habit of this I think you should be looking at illustrator, or an animation program, or at the very least Xara 3D...

I asked Mike to look at this thread and tell us if this (save text from Photoshop as paths) is possible.

well I'm pretty sure you can transfer the paths from PS to Illy and save them as vectors from there in a format xara designer will accept... not something I would usually do

the bigger question is what kind of 3D effect does the OP want? - bearing mind that Xara [and that includes xara 3D] do not actually work in 3D space, it's all smoke and mirrors using 2D extrusion

the gold texture swirls on his text for example - if they need to be in 3D then this is just not the way to go about it

even if that is not required then, like I said, you are going to have to manually map texture to the underlying vector, and frankly, life is surely too short to be doing that as a matter of course ?

ok you can try filling the vector text before extruding to 3D - much easier to work with, but there is nothing you can do
    with the extrusion sides texture-wise without manually mapping

fill extrusion.xar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-03-23 12_56_44-Xara Designer Pro X - [fill extrusion].jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	120416

I'm uncertain an Xara product would be the correct product for playing in the 3D space while desiring to have the highlights on the gold fill. 3D in an Xara product is rather rudimentary and the lighting it has would "fight" against the built in lighting of the fill.

I think I would work the other way around (because I have and know the two products in question). I think I would produce the paths filled with color in XDP, do the 3D for the "presentation" I liked, then export as a PSD for opening in PS, redo the fill there (unclear as to if you are using a plug-in or not).

Ultimately, this could/should be done in a actual 3D application.

By far the simplest method would be to use Xara3D 7. I take it you have the font you're used creating the effect? Import your PS generated alpha png (Avoid using shadows). On a layer above it reproduce the text to match the size & position. Convert text to editable shapes. Create 1x1px sizing pixels aligned to top left & bottom right of the PS png. Select both sizing pixels and the text shape/s. Ctrl + 1 to add shapes and copy.

Open Xara 3D 7 and paste. Next open the texture options and import your PS generated alpha png. The texture should fit the shape exactly.

I didn't have the font you used so I had to draw it, thus only used 'Gold' missing out the 'Text' bit. Export the animation or still as required. Animations limited to 256 if gif used. Attached a full colour jpg still.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold-still.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	120418  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here's a link to the animated gif:

LINK
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 23 March 2018 at 04:18 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host