Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

xdp6 Creating a 3D image from imported PNG with transparent background

I am wanting to create 3D image out of an imported file which is nothing but text with a transparent background (I have currently tried png & gif).

My reason for wanting to do it this way is because I have the "perfect" gold lettering available (attached) to me in my Adobe Photoshop program. Regardless of how much I try and how many imported textures, fill colors and tutorials I follow I cannot match the perfection and beauty I can acquire in my Adobe program for this gold lettering. So... I was wanting to import my text produced in Adobe PS, and then turn it into a 3D image of text in Xara. The problem is, that it takes my transparent background and fills it in with white. I've tried erasing it, but it is just replaced all over again when I hit the 3D button (attached).

I've contacted customer support and they were VERY nice, but they were unable to help me after several tries. So, I thought I'd place it on this forum for suggestions I had not considered.

Thank you so VERY much for any attention you can give to this dilemma.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold_text.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	120407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D-gold_text.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	120408  

Default Re: Creating a 3D image from imported PNG with transparent background

You can only convert a vector shape to 3D (at least with a transparent background). So you need to see if you can export your text in a vector or postscript format instead of a bitmap.

You can do a bitmap trace to convert the image to a vector but you need a larger high res bitmap to get any kind of decent results.

I know nothing about web stuff, but, the image on the right looks like it is skewed and extruded, you might check your settings in both Xara and Adobe to= see if that may or may not be the case.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yrs, what Gary said.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Larry - The second image is the result of trying to apply a 3D effect to a bitmap. The 3D is applied to the rectangle not to the content of the bitmap.

OK thanks Gary. Then couldn't he erase the white background and keep the text? I know it would then be a bitmap and not vector and the white parts in the text would be gone too.. Just a thought.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

I think that a bitmap trace might be the way to go, but not Xara's, which has a steep learning curve. Illustrator's trace tool is pretty good, probably as good as Vector Magic. I understand that the latest iteration from CorelDraw is getting there, too.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I did a bitmap trace in Vector Graphics and then had to do a lot of cleaning up to get the characters. Attached is the Xara file.

As Bob has noted a bitmap trace at this low resolution requires a lot of work. But you can play around with this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXTRUDED.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	120409  
    Attached Files Attached Files

If it wasn't already painfully clear I am very new to both Xara and this forum, but Wow...I really appreciate the help on this thank you all!

I will give these suggestions a try. Unfortunately, none sound practical in that I would need to be able to do this semi-frequently without a lot of time investment. I'm assuming that if there was a simple method of converting a bitmap image to a vector image in Xara that it would have been mentioned already...right?

You can do this but to be honest it is a feature that is just not very well developed.