Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Bevel & 3D anomaly

When using either the Bevel or 3D Tools, the result contains raster elements, as shown in the attached graphic.
    The area concerned in this instance is where the yellow section meets the brown area.
    The whole brown area appears to be raster rather than vector.
    I think this glitch has been posted before, possibly even by myself.
    But in case it is my faulty memory and hasn't been requested before, could this pleased be addressed?
    Thanks,
    Bob.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bevel & 3D anomaly.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	120375
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 17 March 2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add xara file
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Bevel & 3D anomaly

These are Live Effects that can be edited, but the ultimate effects is a bitmap or part bitmap. The difference is until you convert to editable shapes or make a bitmap copy, the effect may be edited and modified. Shadows are the same.

I know I'm really dim, so bear with me, Gary. I assumed from what you said that if I converted to editable shapes that I might end up with a vector, but I didn't.
    I got 1 clipped bitmap, with which I can do nothing. So There's nothing to be done by the user, would that be correct?
    If so, my original comment stands and something needs to be done to enable editing of a vector object.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

When you convert to Editable Shapes then the shape becomes a bitmap.

I believe that other design applications might create an editable vector object. Not sure.

This and feathering and shadows are one of my major bummers on Xara. That and the fact that they focus on templates rather than new helpful tools for very common illustration work like prototyping, flowcharting. The bitmap bevels, embosses, shadows, feather all have scale limits and odd behaviors at various resolutions. They aren't as capable on varied size canvases, objects, and zoom level and it's been like that for more than a decade now. I love firing up Xara for a lot of things but I'd almost rather it didn't have them. Generally I get my hopes up but it really just makes untenable images. 3D is annoying and disappointing as well. It's way more annoying to me to use the unpredictable and clunky xara 3d even if it's "easier" I would rather just use regular 3D software like blender, where I could create dedicated templates for things. 3D lighting defaults look dated and trashy too. Thankfully Xara is still the most fun for straight up vector drawing with standard gradients. It's kind of funny how much Inkscape beats Xara now though.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbuddy View Post
    It's kind of funny how much Inkscape beats Xara now though.
    Im realy interesting in what way Inkscape beats Xara can you extend your idea?